Does a high Step 2 improve my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WTFWIT

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Got my Step 2 CK scroes back a few days ago and was wondering how'd they affect my overall chances in matching this year. See, my Step 1 was sub-200/80 while Step 2 was 240+/99. Will programs ignore my crappy Step 1 scores or will it be a mark against me compared to someone with similar scores/class rank?
Thanks.:)

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, unfortunately many drop the bottom out of the interview pool by Step 1 scores alone. Since a good number of the other applicants have not taken Step 2, or their scores have not been reported, Step 1 is still the only standardized way to compare.

Either way, congrats on the great score!

Yeah, unfortunately many drop the bottom out of the interview pool by Step 1 scores alone. Since a good number of the other applicants have not taken Step 2, or their scores have not been reported, Step 1 is still the only standardized way to compare.
I thought that an above avg Step 2 CK could potentially override a below avg Step 1, unless selection committees are unwilling to "compare apples and oranges". Not that the low Step 1 will be ignored, but could it not be compensated for by such a high Step 2? Especially since Step 2 is clinical knowledge and perhaps more important? Just some thoughts...

Members don't see this ad :)
I think goldengate and the 2 who posted before goldengate are correct. It's great that the original poster did so well on Step 2 and that he or she improved so much from Step 1. As the 1st 2 posters indicated, there are plenty of programs that are Step 1 sticklers and just filter applications based on Step 1 scores as one of the main, if not the only, criteria. Unfortunately, WTFWIT will be excluded at many programs that have strict Step 1 criteria. That said, there are many programs that tend to be more flexible, as Goldengate touched on. Some will see this improvement and realize that WTFWIT has improved on whatever it was that caused him/her to only earn a mediocre Step 1 score. The best thing to do would be to email the programs you're interested in applying to individually and explain your situatio and then ask if they still recommend that you apply in light of your Step 1 scores. It's easy to do this even with a lot of programs, as the basic inquiry/message stays the same and all one would have to do is adjust the name of the program, PD, etc. You should be able to send out 50 or so such inquiries in 1-2 hours!

If you browse the ERAS forum, you may have found the following. It's kind of an eye-opener, and confirms what was said above.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=317553

"I review the files electronically [we have screening criteria set on ERAS, and I review all files that get past the filter]"

Yes, that message was from a program director. And by "filter", I assume that means Step 1 >220 or whatever, based on the specialty and particular program. So, yes, even though you performed really well on Step 2, he/she will never see your application.

In these situations, the best course is to contact the programs individually, as suggested by manning. This will be your only chance to get through the filter, and in your case in particular I would make it very clear in the approach that you improved dramatically with Step 2. I would list my score if it were that good. Check with your advisor/home program, but I would imagine hese messages should be sent directly to the program director, with maybe a carbon copy to the residency coordinator.

I would like to take the Step II to make up for a lousy step I (significanlty below average, but still over 200).

When would be the best time to take it to be able to get interviews? Is it necessary to have OB/GYN and Psych done before the test?

Thanks

Hi all,
Got my Step 2 CK scroes back a few days ago and was wondering how'd they affect my overall chances in matching this year. See, my Step 1 was sub-200/80 while Step 2 was 240+/99. Will programs ignore my crappy Step 1 scores or will it be a mark against me compared to someone with similar scores/class rank?
Thanks.:)

Your excellent Step II score cannot do anything but help you out but programs will see your Step I. It will not be ignored but viewed within the context of your Step II score.

An excellent Step II score does not erase a bad Step I score but it does some damage control. If you grades are otherwise good and your evaluations are excellent, you should have few problems. If you are put alongside someone with an excellent Step I score, your Step II score will not erase your Step I score and you will likely fall short but your Step II score will help your cause more than nothing at all.