• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Does a LOR from an Epidemiology Professor count as a Science letter?

LuminatorMan

2+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2017
  1. Pre-Medical
    Hi, I am in the process of receiving a letter from an Epidemiology professor with who I've built a great relationship with. The tricky part is that I took an epidemiology-related undergrad course with her, however, she is a professor of Epi in our school's MPH/DPH program. Also, she is very well known in her field. That said, would a letter from her count as a science letter or would I have to unfortunately put it in the non-science category?

Thanks in advance.

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
    Lifetime Donor
    10+ Year Member
    Jul 26, 2009
    The Big Bad Apple
    1. Non-Student
      If you have a pre-health committee, ask them whether that satisfies their internal requirements. Otherwise, i would call 10 med schools and confirm.
      That may not be sufficent. Even if a call to admissions office says its ok, the evaluator actually reading the application may not look at that way

About the Ads

AnonymousUser2

• Jan 9, 2020
      1. Pre-Medical
        Hi, I am in the process of receiving a letter from an Epidemiology professor with who I've built a great relationship with. The tricky part is that I took an epidemiology-related undergrad course with her, however, she is a professor of Epi in our school's MPH/DPH program. Also, she is very well known in her field. That said, would a letter from her count as a science letter or would I have to unfortunately put it in the non-science category?

Thanks in advance.
        I've been told science letters should be strictly from profs teaching BCPM courses. I've seen some schools even request BCP only, excluding math. Unfortunately, epidemiology is not considered BCPM, even though it involves a lot of statistics. I think it should be BCPM but reality is it's not

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
        10+ Year Member
        Jul 26, 2009
        The Big Bad Apple
        1. Non-Student
          I've been told science letters should be strictly from profs teaching BCPM courses. I've seen some schools even request BCP only, excluding math. Unfortunately, epidemiology is not considered BCPM, even though it involves a lot of statistics. I think it should be BCPM but reality is it's not
          All applicants should read the website of each school they are applying to for any specifics and/or recommendations for letters. It also should be noted that AMCAS classification of BCPM is not, repeat, is not used by individual schools to determined what is or isnt a science letter

Reactions: 1 user

wholeheartedly

Epi Geek
          Staff member
          Administrator
          Volunteer Staff
          10+ Year Member
          Verified Expert
        • Aug 8, 2009
          Beyond the Wall

Thanks in advance.

What courses does she teach and did you take of hers and what kind of research does she do? What departments is she affiliated with? Half my epi professors had appoints in other departments as such as the school of medicine, the microbiology, department, etc. I would get that info and then check with the main schools you want to apply to as to how to categorize it. Definitely use it somewhere though.

sadwinter

Nov 28, 2019
            1. Pre-Medical
              All applicants should read the website of each school they are applying to for any specifics and/or recommendations for letters. It also should be noted that AMCAS classification of BCPM is not, repeat, is not used by individual schools to determined what is or isnt a science letter
              Is there any BCPM course that wouldn't classify as a science letter though (I certainly see the reverse- things that aren't BCPM being classified by schools as a science letter)

Last edited:

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
              10+ Year Member
              Jul 26, 2009
              The Big Bad Apple
              1. Non-Student
                Is there any BCPM course that wouldn't classify as a science letter though (I can certainly the the reverse- things that aren't BCPM being classified by schools as a science letter)

some schools have very specific guidelines such as case western :

Letters of Recommendation | School of Medicine | School of Medicine | Case Western Reserve University
                We will not accept letters from Psychology, Earth Sciences (Geology, Ecology, Oceanography, and Botany), and Computer Sciences as satisfying the science letters requirement…

but they will accept nursing, engineering, math. Other schools will have their own issues

sadwinter

Nov 28, 2019
                1. Pre-Medical
                  some schools have very specific guidelines such as case western :

Letters of Recommendation | School of Medicine | School of Medicine | Case Western Reserve University
                  We will not accept letters from Psychology, Earth Sciences (Geology, Ecology, Oceanography, and Botany), and Computer Sciences as satisfying the science letters requirement…

but they will accept nursing, engineering, math. Other schools will have their own issues
                  Case Western actually raises an interesting question. In our institution, Ecology was a course in the Biology department, and I know several people who used a letter from our ecology professor. I wonder how those letters will be interpreted. However, we do have a pre-health committee (which considered ecology to be biology), so I suppose it doesn't matter (their requirements override the institutions).

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
                  10+ Year Member
                  Jul 26, 2009
                  The Big Bad Apple
                  1. Non-Student
                    ase Western actually raises an interesting question. In our institution, Ecology was a course in the Biology department, and I know several people who used a letter from our ecology professor. I wonder how those letters will be interpreted. However, we do have a pre-health committee (which considered ecology to be biology), so I suppose it doesn't matter (their requirements override the institutions).
                    The vast majority of medical schools Require ONLY one of the following:

1.individual letters submitted directly to the medical school. The requirements for these letters are set by the medical school
                    OR
                    2. Undergraduate pre-health committee letter. The requirements for these letters are set by undergraduate pre-health committee. There is no rule for medical school that requires the undergraduate pre-health committee to include any individual letters with her packet. Indeed some undergraduate schools do not even collect individual letters rather rely on student interview and direct phone or email contact with faculty. Some undergraduate committees only accept letters from faculties While others require letters outside of academics such as clinical experience extracurriculars and jobs. What matters in the undergraduate letter is the actual evaluation letter by the pre-health committee

LuminatorMan

2+ Year Member
                    Feb 10, 2017
                    1. Pre-Medical
                      Thank you all for the advice! So I'll just use my bio professor's letter. However more importantly, I will be getting a committee letter so if I understand properly, that should cover everything?

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
                      10+ Year Member
                      Jul 26, 2009
                      The Big Bad Apple
                      1. Non-Student
                        Thank you all for the advice! So I'll just use my bio professor's letter. However more importantly, I will be getting a committee letter so if I understand properly, that should cover everything?
                        yes. A committee letter evaluation covers it all

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                        7. This thread is locked.