Does a LOR from an Epidemiology Professor count as a Science letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LuminatorMan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am in the process of receiving a letter from an Epidemiology professor with who I've built a great relationship with. The tricky part is that I took an epidemiology-related undergrad course with her, however, she is a professor of Epi in our school's MPH/DPH program. Also, she is very well known in her field. That said, would a letter from her count as a science letter or would I have to unfortunately put it in the non-science category?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

If you have a pre-health committee, ask them whether that satisfies their internal requirements. Otherwise, i would call 10 med schools and confirm.

Hi, I am in the process of receiving a letter from an Epidemiology professor with who I've built a great relationship with. The tricky part is that I took an epidemiology-related undergrad course with her, however, she is a professor of Epi in our school's MPH/DPH program. Also, she is very well known in her field. That said, would a letter from her count as a science letter or would I have to unfortunately put it in the non-science category?

Thanks in advance.

What courses does she teach and did you take of hers and what kind of research does she do? What departments is she affiliated with? Half my epi professors had appoints in other departments as such as the school of medicine, the microbiology, department, etc. I would get that info and then check with the main schools you want to apply to as to how to categorize it. Definitely use it somewhere though.

Members don't see this ad :)
All applicants should read the website of each school they are applying to for any specifics and/or recommendations for letters. It also should be noted that AMCAS classification of BCPM is not, repeat, is not used by individual schools to determined what is or isnt a science letter
Is there any BCPM course that wouldn't classify as a science letter though (I certainly see the reverse- things that aren't BCPM being classified by schools as a science letter)

Last edited:
some schools have very specific guidelines such as case western :

Letters of Recommendation | School of Medicine | School of Medicine | Case Western Reserve University
We will not accept letters from Psychology, Earth Sciences (Geology, Ecology, Oceanography, and Botany), and Computer Sciences as satisfying the science letters requirement…

but they will accept nursing, engineering, math. Other schools will have their own issues
Case Western actually raises an interesting question. In our institution, Ecology was a course in the Biology department, and I know several people who used a letter from our ecology professor. I wonder how those letters will be interpreted. However, we do have a pre-health committee (which considered ecology to be biology), so I suppose it doesn't matter (their requirements override the institutions).

Thank you all for the advice! So I'll just use my bio professor's letter. However more importantly, I will be getting a committee letter so if I understand properly, that should cover everything?

Reactions: 1 user