Does a LOR (Letter of Rec) from a Family Medicine Observership count as a true "Family Med LOR"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sg808

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

So i'm a US-IMG and I'm in the process of scheduling electives and already have scheduled an elective in Family Medicine from which I hopefully can receive a solid LOR prior to applying to the match next year. I was wondering since it's recommended that we have 2 family med letters - can the second letter be from a observership? Reason being there's not enough time for me to schedule a 2nd Family Medicine elective before the application is due Sept 15th and the 2-week observership I would be doing would be in NJ - where Caribbean med students cannot complete rotations per state regulations.

Curious on any feedback and thoughts and greatly appreciate the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Everyone,

So i'm a US-IMG and I'm in the process of scheduling electives and already have scheduled an elective in Family Medicine from which I hopefully can receive a solid LOR prior to applying to the match next year. I was wondering since it's recommended that we have 2 family med letters - can the second letter be from a observership? Reason being there's not enough time for me to schedule a 2nd Family Medicine elective before the application is due Sept 15th and the 2-week observership I would be doing would be in NJ - where Caribbean med students cannot complete rotations per state regulations.

Curious on any feedback and thoughts and greatly appreciate the advice!

Yes, I mean, sounds like you don't really have any other options?

Yes, I mean, sounds like you don't really have any other options?

Ya i guess so...cuz by time I complete my Sub-I in family, it'll be end of October before I can get a letter from them.