Does a minor help with admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Narnian

Waiting for Aslan
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of taking courses that would give me a minor in Psychology on top of my Biology degree. I already have half the courses taken for the minor and two of them may also count for my biology degree as well. Will this show my diversity and give me greater chance of acceptance? I think I will take them regardless, just wanted to know if it would tip the scale even the slightest.

Members don't see this ad.

I am thinking of taking courses that would give me a minor in Psychology on top of my Biology degree. I already have half the courses taken for the minor and two of them may also count for my biology degree as well. Will this show my diversity and give me greater chance of acceptance? I think I will take them regardless, just wanted to know if it would tip the scale even the slightest.

If you have the opportunity to minor then do it. The heck with adcoms. Around here minors are REQUIRED.

Thanks Ranger... I was not sure if it was required at some MD / DO schools. I plan on applying lots of places. Mostly the Northwest, but I will go anywhere Im accepted, even Arkansas :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Ranger... I was not sure if it was required at some MD / DO schools. I plan on applying lots of places. Mostly the Northwest, but I will go anywhere Im accepted, even Arkansas :laugh:

Well come on. We've got some nice places here particularly western AR. The whole east half sucks, but they're a different culture there. I wouldn't say a minor is required, it won't hurt, and like I said around here you've pretty much got to have one as a degree requirement.

Adcoms wont care about minors at all. Sorry. Do it for yourself or not at all.

Hi, my name is Dr. ?, by the way I have a chemistry minor in undergrad. I personally think it will not help whatsoever. By the way, I take my final class for my minor next semester.

I am not trying to sound mean or anything, I have asked myself this question also. I always think about how no one EVER has cared if a physician had a minor or not. I just personally feel that since it only is one extra class beyond prereqs, why not.

Hi, my name is Dr. ?, by the way I have a chemistry minor in undergrad. I personally think it will not help whatsoever. By the way, I take my final class for my minor next semester.

I am not trying to sound mean or anything, I have asked myself this question also. I always think about how no one EVER has cared if a physician had a minor or not. I just personally feel that since it only is one extra class beyond prereqs, why not.

Well, the same applies to your major. Once you're a doctor you can wipe your rear with your undergrad diploma. Heck, a couple of years out of college you don't pay attention to anyone's education anymore anyway or alternatively you can hang it up on your wall to decorate with. It's about work experience and competency in the workforce, and I only mention this because a premed is less likely to become a doctor than he is to make it. When I hire people I'll pick the experience over the degree anyday, and yes I hire people. I directed an otherwise unoccupied employee a while back to clean the restroom since it needed to be done, and the regular person was out. Her response was, "With my education I shouldn't be doing that." I looked at her and told her that nearly everyone here has degrees and didn't see how that mattered.

Last edited: