does A&P count for 'year of biology' classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

another_nontrad

Reaction score
Hi! Question about pre-reqs:
At my school, the typical biology sequence is one quarter each of cell, animal, and plant bio. I've taken one quarter of cell bio and two quarters of anatomy&physiology - so, a year of bio classes. I don't have a school list yet, but the two schools in-state for me just ask for a "year of biology classes", and suggest that cell bio be covered. It seems to me that cell bio + the two A&P classes fulfill that requirement, but I'm wondering if I should take plant and animal bio anyway. Is the typical 'biology majors' sequence required at a lot of other schools? Will it look bad to not have the full sequence? How heavily are plant and animal bio covered on the MCAT?
My original undergrad gpa is a 3.5, so not great. I've managed a 3.8 average in 45 credits of postbacc classes (year of chem and ochem + the a&p and bio class. still need to take physics). Would two classes more of As be useful to raise my gpa more, or is that not going to matter much?
Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Usually, the bio requirement is just 2 semesters of "general biology." If your school doesn't offer that, then I would ask your premed adviser what other premeds have done.

Plant and animal bio are not covered on the MCAT.

I think not having to explain yourself and potentially get approval from every medical school you apply to could potentially be worth it, and also if you do well in those classes it could help your science GPA.

For the MCAT, by taking cell bio + A&P you're potentially missing out on genetics (and maybe biochemistry basics), but as MedSchoolTutors said most of what you're missing isn't super relevant. I think it might be worth it though just to have the prerequisite done.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think not having to explain yourself and potentially get approval from every medical school you apply to could potentially be worth it, and also if you do well in those classes it could help your science GPA.

For the MCAT, by taking cell bio + A&P you're potentially missing out on genetics (and maybe biochemistry basics), but as MedSchoolTutors said most of what you're missing isn't super relevant. I think it might be worth it though just to have the prerequisite done.
that makes sense, thank you! I'll probably take them then, easier not to have to explain to schools that expect the normal series.
my school also offers microbio and a genetics class - you think those would be helpful too? Sounds like incoming med students are expected to have some knowledge of genetics...

Usually, the bio requirement is just 2 semesters of "general biology." If your school doesn't offer that, then I would ask your premed adviser what other premeds have done.

Plant and animal bio are not covered on the MCAT.
I don't really have a pre-med advisor, but the one person I'd talked to said it he thought it would be accepted. I hadn't heard of anyone else doing that though, so wasn't sure if that was good advice. It sounds like I should probably take the series though (the 3 are equivalent to 2 semesters of gen bio). thank you!

that makes sense, thank you! I'll probably take them then, easier not to have to explain to schools that expect the normal series.
my school also offers microbio and a genetics class - you think those would be helpful too? Sounds like incoming med students are expected to have some knowledge of genetics...
Those would definitely be helpful, especially as more schools are looking for upper level bio classes. But you can learn those yourself for the MCAT, does your school offer biochemistry? If so I would absolutely recommend that as it will help a ton for the MCAT and help satisfy a requirement that's becoming more and more common.

Sent from my SM-G965U using SDN mobile

Those would definitely be helpful, especially as more schools are looking for upper level bio classes. But you can learn those yourself for the MCAT, does your school offer biochemistry? If so I would absolutely recommend that as it will help a ton for the MCAT and help satisfy a requirement that's becoming more and more common.

Sent from my SM-G965U using SDN mobile
They do! I'm registered for it next quarter. Glad it will be useful!

A&P must be science-rigorous, meaning it should not be taught at a level for health sciences and nursing students, but for science majors. This should be made clear in the syllabus.

Reactions: 1 user
A&P I/II counted for me as biology I/II. It was 2013-2014 cycle. Things might be different now.