Does a week make a difference?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

firstimpression4

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am a bit conflicted... with it being August and everyone stressing the importance of applying ASAP I am not wanting to reschedule my DAT. HOWEVER, I feel like I am not scoring well enough on practice tests and I do feel unprepared. (On bootcamp, I score around 20-23 PAT/RC, 17-19 GC/OC/BIO and a whopping 16-17 QR :bang:). I have yet to take the 2009 DAT, I was saving that and based off those scores, I would see if I need to reschedule. I will admit, a lot of the questions I miss on practice tests are stupid mistakes, and I haven't taken any of the tests in a test environment area (i.e. at my house with several distractions). I have already sent in my application and everything has been verified (sGPA 3.85 and non-sGPA 3.89). All of the schools I have applied to have notified me and are waiting on my DAT scores. I was wondering how beneficial/hurtful it would be to postpone 1 week. Everyone says that you shouldn't take it until you are prepared, but will an extra week of studying really make much of a difference? Or will it only hinder my chances of getting interviews by pushing my app to the end of pile? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just take it! Don't put it off cause you'll just delay everything further. You have a solid GPA, you'll score well with those BC scores. I was scoring way lower than you & I got 20+ on everything (21AA, 22RC, 22QR, 20PAT) except bio (19).. And my GPA is waaaay lower than yours. You're ready, you're just nervous! Save that $100 and spend it on another school instead. Goodluck !

Reactions: 2 users
If you have some study material that you didn't quite get through yet- reschedule. I actually pushed my DAT back 2 weeks because I didn't get through the destroyer but went through other stuff, so in those 2 weeks I went over the sources I didn't have time to go over and ended up scoring a 22 in OC and GC. A lot of the questions I saw were those that I learned in the last 2 weeks. However, thats just my story, yours could be different. I drastically improved in that 2 week down time.

I agree with tljnd, just take it. Instead of postponing, just double your efforts in the days before your test. If you are studying 6 hours a day, study ten from now on. This is my first cycle applying but I would begin to get nervous at this date, and it's probably going to be painful waiting weeks for those DAT scores to show up on AADSAS.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For me a week did wonders. I took an extra 1.5 weeks. I got to relax, go over things for a moment and let my mind approach the test with less anxiety. I was freaking out, my DAT is in 24 hours and I am more relaxed and focussed.

Reactions: 1 users
I postponed my dat by 10 days for basically the same reason - my score went from 21AA (2009 DAT taken on the day of my test had I not postponed) to 23AA on the actual dat, so I'm all for postponing if it grants you peace of mind

Reactions: 1 user
I postponed my dat by 10 days for basically the same reason - my score went from 21AA (2009 DAT taken on the day of my test had I not postponed) to 23AA on the actual dat, so I'm all for postponing if it grants you peace of mind
Amen!

Wow o_O. You know I was so tempted to postpone my July 27th date. I'm kind of glad I didn't (even if I got a 24 it would mean I destroy my body that much more with an additional week or two of stress)

So I am a bit conflicted... with it being August and everyone stressing the importance of applying ASAP I am not wanting to reschedule my DAT. HOWEVER, I feel like I am not scoring well enough on practice tests and I do feel unprepared. (On bootcamp, I score around 20-23 PAT/RC, 17-19 GC/OC/BIO and a whopping 16-17 QR :bang:). I have yet to take the 2009 DAT, I was saving that and based off those scores, I would see if I need to reschedule. I will admit, a lot of the questions I miss on practice tests are stupid mistakes, and I haven't taken any of the tests in a test environment area (i.e. at my house with several distractions). I have already sent in my application and everything has been verified (sGPA 3.85 and non-sGPA 3.89). All of the schools I have applied to have notified me and are waiting on my DAT scores. I was wondering how beneficial/hurtful it would be to postpone 1 week. Everyone says that you shouldn't take it until you are prepared, but will an extra week of studying really make much of a difference? Or will it only hinder my chances of getting interviews by pushing my app to the end of pile? Any advice would be much appreciated!
I didn't score as high on practice exams as I wanted for the EXACT SAME REASON. Don't doubt yourself. Mark how many questions you actually didn't know what to do or didn't have a good idea on how it worked. If it's a minor math mistake or you misread it it's not a misunderstanding at all. That is just test taking anxiety/carelessness. Also I guarantee you'll kick my butt in PAT. Lmk if you want help with math though lol I'm kinda bored and wouldn't mind writing out explanations and stuff haha.

If you have some study material that you didn't quite get through yet- reschedule. I actually pushed my DAT back 2 weeks because I didn't get through the destroyer but went through other stuff, so in those 2 weeks I went over the sources I didn't have time to go over and ended up scoring a 22 in OC and GC. A lot of the questions I saw were those that I learned in the last 2 weeks. However, thats just my story, yours could be different. I drastically improved in that 2 week down time.
See this is exactly it. I haven't finished DAT destroyer. I also have only gone over my incorrect answers from my tests once or twice, which is not enough. I was just concerned that one week does not have much of an affect on my test, and it's getting late in the app. cycle so I was trying to weigh pros and cons.

I agree with tljnd, just take it. Instead of postponing, just double your efforts in the days before your test. If you are studying 6 hours a day, study ten from now on. This is my first cycle applying but I would begin to get nervous at this date, and it's probably going to be painful waiting weeks for those DAT scores to show up on AADSAS.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I know I am very concerned about being late applying.. but I was not sure of how late I actually am because SDN is filled with a bunch of top of the line applicants who submit everything June 1st. lol

For me a week did wonders. I took an extra 1.5 weeks. I got to relax, go over things for a moment and let my mind approach the test with less anxiety. I was freaking out, my DAT is in 24 hours and I am more relaxed and focussed.
Hey good luck to ya! You seem confident which apparently is 50% of how you do well on this test. I think just by reducing my anxiety may help increase some of my scores a little bit.

I also think that there is no way I would do any worse a week later.. I doubt I am capable of changing my scores as much as you did, but you give me hope!

Hey good luck to ya! You seem confident which apparently is 50% of how you do well on this test. I think just by reducing my anxiety may help increase some of my scores a little bit.

I took my exam today. The week PAID OFF $$$$$$$. Haha

I took my exam today. The week PAID OFF $$$$$$$. Haha
Hey! That's awesome, congratulations! I just delayed my test a week but hopefully it'll make a little bit of a difference. How much of a change in scores did it make if you took any within that period of time?

I know I am very concerned about being late applying.. but I was not sure of how late I actually am because SDN is filled with a bunch of top of the line applicants who submit everything June 1st. lol
It's good that you're concerned. I wouldn't stress over it, but definitely the earlier you apply the better. I know what you mean though, in real life all of the people I know who have been accepted to dental school applied later, say August or so. It's not a make or break. People definitely tend to be top-of-the-line here haha but I think that's a great thing as far as conversations and advice go. Best of luck to you!