Does a year really make a difference?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeadorAlive

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm hoping for your advice... I'm already applying one year out of undergrad (so when I begin Med School, I'll be two years removed). I was recently offered some jobs, but everyone wants two years. Some of the offers are compelling, so I am torn... delay med school by one more year, or find something else to provide a salary while I apply?

In the end, would it really make a difference whether I finish my MD or MD/MPH at age 30, rather than 29? Or, as I've heard, is it hard to get back into the school thing after being away for a few years?

Thanks for the help!!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, you know, you really don't HAVE to stay two years. You can always take the job, work for a year, or a year and a half, and then leave. People do it all the time. When I took my current job they wanted a three year committment, but I'm leaving after only working here two years.

As for med school admissions, I would think having the extra year or two could only work to your advantage. You will have more real world experience and probably be seen as more mature in the eyes of the adcom.

some questions...
does this job allow you to gain important skills?
does it allow you to ENJOY life?
does it give you a relatively reasonable sack of mulah $$?

look, you will be practicing medicine for 3-4 DECADES!
30-40 y-e-a-r-s!
one or two years will not make a difference in the long run,

PLUS, try to remember this,
the twenties are some of the best years of one's life,
you're young, healthy, there's so much out there to take in, why not enjoy it for a couple of years?
med school is a tremendous experiences, i still really enjoy it, but i don't regret taking time off, one bit.

and as the OP said, the skills you gain at work, will almost always allow you to be more competitive in med school, help you navigate thru/work with the various professions in the hospital (social workers/administrators/nurses/nurse practictioners/ physician assistants/technicians) and will help you connect to your patients a lot easier, too.

... the caveat being, my viewpoint is from someone who took 4 years off, but i think the things i learned along the way helped me do really well in all the schools i applied to later on.

and......
**even if you want kids or not, anything is doable these days! (there are plenty of people i know who have kids later on when they are attendings (actually a wonderful critical care attending just had her second one. And if you are thinking even in medical school, a friend who matched in SURGERY(!hard core!) just had a baby last year in med school... plus, in a previous life she was a high school teacher! crazy but doable) ...and if you are a guy(?), even "easier"....

i'd say take the job, if it's a good one, stay the extra year, and it'll also help you in the admissions process AND in med school itself.
It's a win-win-win situation...

best of luck :)

Members don't see this ad :)
When I was an undergrad, I thought a year was a long time and made a big difference. Now, many years later, I don't. Do what feels right. Carpe diem.

Also, consider if you apply now, you will have been on the job for only a few months when you interview and you won't have a lot to say about the job which will be a major topic of conversation. With 14-18 mos of experience you will be a much more interesting interviewee.

Also, at this point, you have very little to say about the job on your applicaiton and secondary. After a year of work, you will be able to describe the job and what you are learning from it, what you enjoy and how what you are learning is related to medicine or being a doctor but also be able to say that in specific ways it is not as fulfilling as being a physician.

DeadorAlive said:
Or, as I've heard, is it hard to get back into the school thing after being away for a few years?
From what I've seen it's quite the opposite. People who take time off to do other things often tend to return to their studies re-energized, more focused, and in a better state of mind to tackle complicated courses. I would think it is the people who chug through undergrad and right into med school who are often more apt to suffer school-related burnout.

Thanks for all of the advice! :)

One year makes no difference. Many of my classmates worked for a year or two before starting med school. It is great way to get some life experiece, people skills, and save up some money before starting a long journey.