Does an out of stater have a shot for an interview at PCOM and NYCOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NUgirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am really impressed by both schools, and I am applying to both this year. Do I even have a shot for an interview since I am not an instater. Also, does anyone know what the average stats are for PCOM?

THANKS! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think the general rule of thumb is that if a school is a private school, out of state applicants have a good chance for an interview. If the school is a state school, out of state applicants have to have higher credentials to be considered for an interview.

I think PCOM is a private school but I'm not sure about NYCOM. The three state schools that I know of are MSU, UMDNJ, and OSU.

Cant speak for PCOM, as I'm a second year at NYCOM. NYCOM takes people from all over fairly readily, but probably half their class is from the new york area or surrounding states. Average stats I think are in the range of a 25-26 MCAT, 3.4-3.5 gpa. Both schools have large class sizes, so this should help you. NYCOM gets something like ~1400 applications, interviews around 550 and accepts around 450 for a class of about 300. Hence, if you get an interview you have a decent shot at acceptance. The interview is usually pretty relaxed. You only fill out a secondary and pay the secondary fee if you're asked for an interview.

hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know aboutt NYCOM, but I'm from Washington and PCOM invited me out to interview and like oceandoc says, if it's a private school which most DO schools are, then it really doesn't matter.

Thanks so much for the replies! I feel so much better now. :) I wasnt sure if I had done the right thing in applying to those schools or not.

Does anyone know any specifics about the stats on PCOM? The info is much appreciated!

I am from MA and I got accepted to both PCOM and NYCOM so it's definitely possible. Good luck

PCOM stats: 25, 3.4?

I don't know if this helps any, but I am from California and I am currently doing a summer program at NYCOM and will be a first year...There are a lot of people in this program that are not from NY. Out of the 50 people in the program, there's probably about 25-35 not from the tri-state region. I read somewhere before I interviewed that students from areas out of the tri state region make up up about 10 percent of the entering class...but, that number can change. It's worth a shot though because it is a great school! But, east coasters definitely have the advantage. Maybe try calling the school and talking to someone in admissions.

I am from Connecticut and got interviews at both NYCOM and PCOM. Got accepted at both, too.

As long as you are competitive and apply early, you've got the hard part done.

Good luck.