1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Does any school have a bad match list??

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by bokermmk, Mar 24, 2004.

1. bokermmk

bokermmk Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

After browsing this forum for about 6 months I have come across many posts commenting on match lists and have never seen one that claims the school has a bad match list. So I ask, do any schools actually have 'bad' matchlists. Or are there superstars at every school preventing this?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. TheRussian

TheRussian Life Size Mirror
    7+ Year Member

I personally have no idea what a good match list means. Every school i've gone to, I've been handed a match list but I have no way of evaluating how good it is because I really don't know what hospitals are competitive and which hospitals are not very good.
    To me the match list carries little meaning because as you said, every school seems to have a "good" one.

4. boomuntilnoon

boomuntilnoon Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

If it is of any significance, Arkansaw had 17 seniors (~12%) who failed to match.

5. linus

linus fly tux.
    7+ Year Member

:wow: that's pretty bad. i've never heard of people actually "failing" the match. do you mean they had to scramble and matched somewhere other than their top choices?

6. jhk43

jhk43 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

check also for tuff matches, ophth, rad-onco, neurosur, derm. u.iowa opth is probably as competitive as mgh internal med or something like that

7. missbonnie

missbonnie floating
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
  8. JohnHolmes

JohnHolmes Large Member
    10+ Year Member

I think its safe to say that Arkansas has one of the less competitive match lists.

CCW

9. nykka3

nykka3 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    thanks for the link

10. TheRussian

TheRussian Life Size Mirror
    7+ Year Member

Maybe I'm just ******ed but what does the info mean? I don't see how it distinguishes the good from the bad match lists

11. Tezzie

Tezzie b*witched
    7+ Year Member

I was wondering the same thing. The link has nothing to do with the original question.

12. JohnHolmes

JohnHolmes Large Member
    10+ Year Member

I love bonnie, but tez is right. That is simply a listing of the residency programs available to applicants by type and size, but grouped according to state.

CCW

13. hakksar

hakksar Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think what she was trying to do was show programs that filled or not by state (they have spots allocated and then spots that filled). I think this is to show programs that are less competitive since if they did not fill they might be less competitive. However, that is not an exact science because what happens if a program didn't offer a lot of interviews and did not fill or interviewed too many top candidates that picked them as their number 2 spot etc. Ultimately trying to judge a good vs bad matchlist is impossible.

14. Adapt

Adapt 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

There is no such thing as a bad matchlist. Just bad medical schools.

15. Mr Reddly

Mr Reddly Snowglobe!
    7+ Year Member

There is no such thing as a bad medical school. Just bad students. :eek: ...:laugh:
    ...like me.

16. crazy250

crazy250 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

There is no such thing as bad medical students. Just bad genes.

17. Adapt

Adapt 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

:laugh: Nice. I'd say all are true to a certain extent.

There is no such thing as bad genes, just deleterious mutations.

18. ForceField

ForceField Impervious
    7+ Year Member

Boker,

It depends on what you define as a bad matchlist. If you are looking into going into a competitive specialty, then looking at how many students in a class matched into those specialties could warrant a worthy comparison. Be sure you check multiple years, and not just one year.

For me, ultimately when choosing a medical school, I knew which field I wanted to enter, and when I realized that one of the schools I was accepted to didn't even have the department for the field I wanted to specialize in, obviously I didn't go there. That school also had no students matching into that specialty either.

Also, I became very skeptical about another school I was accepted to last year when they actually seemed like they were trying to hide their matchlist and matchlist statistics. All the other schools I interviewed at would indicate that X% of students would match into one of their top 3 choices, and most of those schools provided us matchlists on our interview day. However, at this school, the statistic was hidden and when I asked the Dean about it, she became a bit defensive and insisted that "Our matchlist is good." Ultimately, I had to bother the school repeatedly to get ahold of their matchlist, and it was sent to me in the mail about 2 months later. It really made me wonder what they had to hide.

Lastly, when I interviewed at Saint Louis University last year, one of the tour guides said that either 10 students or about 10% of the class fails USMLE Step 1.

Hope this helps, Peace.

19. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    there are no bad matchlists, just bad questions.

yeah that made sense.

20. CalBeE

7+ Year Member

Well it's probably easier to see a Good Match List than a bad one. I have to admit that Stanford's match list is really good...just look at the amount of people who match to places like UCSF, UCLA, Massachusetts General, Brigham & Woman, NY Presbytarian, etc.

21. missbonnie

missbonnie floating
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
  22. supereagles

supereagles Spread your wings and fly
    7+ Year Member

23. ZekeMD

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]