Does any school have a bad match list??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bokermmk

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After browsing this forum for about 6 months I have come across many posts commenting on match lists and have never seen one that claims the school has a bad match list. So I ask, do any schools actually have 'bad' matchlists. Or are there superstars at every school preventing this?

Members don't see this ad.

I personally have no idea what a good match list means. Every school i've gone to, I've been handed a match list but I have no way of evaluating how good it is because I really don't know what hospitals are competitive and which hospitals are not very good.
To me the match list carries little meaning because as you said, every school seems to have a "good" one.

If it is of any significance, Arkansaw had 17 seniors (~12%) who failed to match.

Members don't see this ad :)
:wow: that's pretty bad. i've never heard of people actually "failing" the match. do you mean they had to scramble and matched somewhere other than their top choices?

check also for tuff matches, ophth, rad-onco, neurosur, derm. u.iowa opth is probably as competitive as mgh internal med or something like that

I think its safe to say that Arkansas has one of the less competitive match lists.

CCW

thanks for the link

Maybe I'm just ******ed but what does the info mean? I don't see how it distinguishes the good from the bad match lists

Originally posted by TheRussian
I don't see how it distinguishes the good from the bad match lists

I was wondering the same thing. The link has nothing to do with the original question.

I love bonnie, but tez is right. That is simply a listing of the residency programs available to applicants by type and size, but grouped according to state.

CCW

I think what she was trying to do was show programs that filled or not by state (they have spots allocated and then spots that filled). I think this is to show programs that are less competitive since if they did not fill they might be less competitive. However, that is not an exact science because what happens if a program didn't offer a lot of interviews and did not fill or interviewed too many top candidates that picked them as their number 2 spot etc. Ultimately trying to judge a good vs bad matchlist is impossible.

There is no such thing as a bad matchlist. Just bad medical schools.

Originally posted by Slickness
There is no such thing as a bad matchlist. Just bad medical schools.
There is no such thing as a bad medical school. Just bad students. :eek: ...:laugh:
...like me.

Originally posted by Mr Reddly
There is no such thing as a bad medical school. Just bad medical students. :eek: ...:laugh:

There is no such thing as bad medical students. Just bad genes.

:laugh: Nice. I'd say all are true to a certain extent.

There is no such thing as bad genes, just deleterious mutations.

Originally posted by bokermmk
After browsing this forum for about 6 months I have come across many posts commenting on match lists and have never seen one that claims the school has a bad match list. So I ask, do any schools actually have 'bad' matchlists. Or are there superstars at every school preventing this?

Boker,

It depends on what you define as a bad matchlist. If you are looking into going into a competitive specialty, then looking at how many students in a class matched into those specialties could warrant a worthy comparison. Be sure you check multiple years, and not just one year.

For me, ultimately when choosing a medical school, I knew which field I wanted to enter, and when I realized that one of the schools I was accepted to didn't even have the department for the field I wanted to specialize in, obviously I didn't go there. That school also had no students matching into that specialty either.

Also, I became very skeptical about another school I was accepted to last year when they actually seemed like they were trying to hide their matchlist and matchlist statistics. All the other schools I interviewed at would indicate that X% of students would match into one of their top 3 choices, and most of those schools provided us matchlists on our interview day. However, at this school, the statistic was hidden and when I asked the Dean about it, she became a bit defensive and insisted that "Our matchlist is good." Ultimately, I had to bother the school repeatedly to get ahold of their matchlist, and it was sent to me in the mail about 2 months later. It really made me wonder what they had to hide.

Lastly, when I interviewed at Saint Louis University last year, one of the tour guides said that either 10 students or about 10% of the class fails USMLE Step 1.

Hope this helps, Peace.

there are no bad matchlists, just bad questions.

yeah that made sense.

Well it's probably easier to see a Good Match List than a bad one. I have to admit that Stanford's match list is really good...just look at the amount of people who match to places like UCSF, UCLA, Massachusetts General, Brigham & Woman, NY Presbytarian, etc.