Does anybody care about teaching? Incoming intern who likes cards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dsg92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

A lurker on this particular subforum. I'm an MS4 about to start IM residency at my home institution, a well regarded mid tier univ IM program in New England. To give you some background during residency application season I got almost all of the mid tier invites in the Northeast but couldn't break into the upper tier (as I expected going in).

For what its worth my Step 1 is 230, Step 2 CK 248, CS pass 1st attempt. I know the Step 1 is not that great for cards but hopefully enough places will care enough about other things.

I've always been interested in cards. 4th year got to spend some time with an EP, 1 on 1 and that seems incredibly incredibly interesting to me right now.

My goal is to match a cards fellowship first and foremost. If I could stay at my home program that would be wonderful. Our IM program has a decent record of sending grads to similar mid tier academic cards programs in the Northeast.

I have some irons in the fire re research and have done a small project with one of the attending cardiologists. I'm working on some additional things before intern year gets going.

Questions below
1. But I'll be honest..my passion is teaching. It's awesome to have somebody have a lightbulb moment. What are some ways I can really highlight that as a resident? Would say compiling an EKG handbook for 3rd/4th year med students, holding EKG workshops for med students, that sort of thing be looked upon favorably? Is there even a section on ERAS to include that sort of thing?

2. I'm a little scared right now of how short the timeline to fellowship can be. I know its not uncommon to apply during your 3rd year, leaving you with a gap year(where you're doing hospitalist or chief year). I'm totally open to that. Particularly if you're doing a hospitalist year and not doing something academic like chief year...does anybody care?

3. As an intern how did you approach the beginning of residency. I know being a good resident is the first priority. When did you really start pushing into research? How much time do interns generally need to get their legs? (understand that this is variable)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

A lurker on this particular subforum. I'm an MS4 about to start IM residency at my home institution, a well regarded mid tier univ IM program in New England. To give you some background during residency application season I got almost all of the mid tier invites in the Northeast but couldn't break into the upper tier (as I expected going in).

For what its worth my Step 1 is 230, Step 2 CK 248, CS pass 1st attempt. I know the Step 1 is not that great for cards but hopefully enough places will care enough about other things.

I've always been interested in cards. 4th year got to spend some time with an EP, 1 on 1 and that seems incredibly incredibly interesting to me right now.

My goal is to match a cards fellowship first and foremost. If I could stay at my home program that would be wonderful. Our IM program has a decent record of sending grads to similar mid tier academic cards programs in the Northeast.

I have some irons in the fire re research and have done a small project with one of the attending cardiologists. I'm working on some additional things before intern year gets going.

Questions below
1. But I'll be honest..my passion is teaching. It's awesome to have somebody have a lightbulb moment. What are some ways I can really highlight that as a resident? Would say compiling an EKG handbook for 3rd/4th year med students, holding EKG workshops for med students, that sort of thing be looked upon favorably? Is there even a section on ERAS to include that sort of thing?

2. I'm a little scared right now of how short the timeline to fellowship can be. I know its not uncommon to apply during your 3rd year, leaving you with a gap year(where you're doing hospitalist or chief year). I'm totally open to that. Particularly if you're doing a hospitalist year and not doing something academic like chief year...does anybody care?

3. As an intern how did you approach the beginning of residency. I know being a good resident is the first priority. When did you really start pushing into research? How much time do interns generally need to get their legs? (understand that this is variable)

1. There’s always Med ed research in most academic departments. This is usually looked at favorably in cardiology applications and can make you stand out. I’m not sure how compiling an internally made EKG book will help, though certainly good for your education.

2. I know numerous folks who did a hospitalist year and Chief year who matched cardiology. It was fine. However you are more likely to be looked at favorably having done some ongoing academic research during that gap year whether or not it’s while being a simultaneous hospitalist or a research fellow. Neither is wrong. It’s nice to make real doctor money and I personally would have done hospitalist if I did a gap year but OTOH working in a lab and publishing heavily can also set you up with strong connections in the academic world.

3. I personally did not decide on cardiology until near the end of my first year. I had some undergrad research (unpublished) in cardiology basic science but nothing clinical. I sought out fellows and attendings and asked about getting involved in research and was successful. I know some who got involved immediately as interns (wouldn’t recommend it), some halfway through intern year, etc. the key is to be productive and at least submit abstracts to places.

Questions below

While I'm not sure if there would be an "official" spot for that sort of thing on ERAS I do think that something along those lines would certainly be well-received at your institution and while shouldn't be the main reason to do it, would likely be good karma and be viewed as positive when it comes time for them to consider you for a fellowship.

In general teaching forces you to learn and really understand whatever it is you are teaching. Honestly I think it's the best way to gauge if you understand something......if you can teach it to someone else. As a general fellow we had held weekly EKG lectures with the IM residents and med students where we went through the basics of approaching an EKG and examining many examples.

Obviously the ideal situation is to apply during the normal timing/cycle so you go from residency into fellowship, unless you end up doing a chief year. If you can avoid it I wouldn't do a gap year unless you are just unsure of even doing a fellowship to begin with and need the time. Unless you do a chief year or some unique\prestigious research year somewhere, I don't see how waiting is going to make you a stronger candidate.

It may be cliche but honestly in the first year your focus is and should be on being a good intern/resident. It's going to big jump from where you are now and at times for most people very overwhelming. For a good number this process can take all year.... and then you start stressing about becoming a "senior" resident just as your starting to get comfortable. Certainly in the beginning I wouldn't worry too much about trying to force some research out. If an opportunity comes up where it's something truly interesting to you, and not too time consuming for you at the time then certainly get involved. You may have to be selective and just do some work when on more light elective IM rotations and not worry about trying to fit any research work in on typically heavy months like floor consults and ICU months.