Does anybody know how to answer this question in an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pabdalla

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the latest book you have read? or what is your favorite book? I am not really taking reading books as a hobby. I only used to read books in high school, now I only read text books, newspapers, and online articles. I do not want to sound closed minded or somthing. Thank you guys.

Members don't see this ad.

read a book!

may i suggest,
The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins
anything by Kurt Vonnegut
What is the What by Dave Eggers
The Children of Men by P.D. James

to name a few I recently loved

Members don't see this ad :)
I know I can do that, but I just do not want to read a book for the sake of the interview. I feel that I should read when I WANT to read you know. I also have a permanent part time job besides classes. What do you think?

Thanks for the response!

"I actually haven't read any books for fun recently."

Maybe you could tell them a book you enjoyed in college or high school that you had to read for English?

If you seriously don't read books, there's no way you can answer that question except for "I don't read books." Excuses of not having enough time ring a bit hollow, especially when you're talking to physicians or surgeons or even lowly med students. You say you should read when you want to read, which is fair enough, but it seems like you just don't want to read. So be upfront about it.

And yes, it will sound close-minded. That's what you get for only doing things you WANT to do instead of things that you know will teach you something about the human condition.

Darwin Doc..
Read

Lee Strobel, Josh McDowell, C.S. Lewis...

Dawkins is a very angry man who doesn't look at the entire argument.

i currently have a full time job (at about 45 hours a week) and a part time (another 14 hours) I do not exactly have a lot of free time for reading, but if you think about it, how much time do you need? I asked a friend to recommend something (pick someone you think has similar interests as yourself, they should know at least one book you could read). You can read a book for only thirty minutes a day instead of tv (and I doubt you could say you dont spend 30 mins or more watching tv a day). If it has been a while since you read for fun, you may not remember that it cn actually be rather enjoyable...

oh and if you really hate reading so much that you wont pick up a book if even to be able to talk about it at interviews, then oh well, be honest, there really is no 'right way' to answer most any question, except with honesty (boy that sounds preachy)

ps - i was in a group interview and a person answered this very question with 'i dont really read for fun, mostly just journals' - i am no mind reader, but the looks on the interviewers faces' did not seem entirely positive (just a heads up)

it looks like you guys took the words out of my mouth, while i was writing my execessively long post :D

Like someone else said, did you enjoy ANY of the books you read in college English? If you did, cite that one :>

It's not that I hate reading or anything. My major was just far away from humanities. I majored in mathematics. I read only one english book while in undergrad. because I only took one Lit course till now. I did like it, but it was a year and a half ago. Don't take me as I am a slacker or anything, during my undergrad. I maintained doing well in classes, did many clinical volunteering, participated in research, played intramural sports, etc. My english is not my first. My worst grades in undergrad were the ones I got in my english courses. I am not making any excuses. I just tend not to enjoy reading books for fun. as I said before, I read newspapers, online journals mainly. hope that helps. Please, do not judge that I am a closed minded before you know me.

Thanks for all the opinions and responses

Darwin Doc..
Read

Lee Strobel, Josh McDowell, C.S. Lewis...

Dawkins is a very angry man who doesn't look at the entire argument.

I have read quite a bit of Strobel and Lewis. I actually went to catholic high school and as eloquent writers as they are, they simply lack the knowledge to make intelligent arguments on par with Dawkins. I met Dawkins and he really isn't an angry man, but probably one of the most brilliant minds of our time. And if he comes across as angry, perhaps it's justified. We should all be so angry.

but to avoid turning this thread into a religious debate, I think everyone should watch a little less Grey's and read a little more of everything...

I don't enjoy reading, but I found some books on subjects I really enjoy and I really liked reading them. Only took me a few hours, I usually read them on flights.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have read quite a bit of Strobel and Lewis. I actually went to catholic high school and as eloquent writers as they are, they simply lack the knowledge to make intelligent arguments on par with Dawkins. I met Dawkins and he really isn't an angry man, but probably one of the most brilliant minds of our time. And if he comes across as angry, perhaps it's justified. We should all be so angry.

but to avoid turning this thread into a religious debate, I think everyone should watch a little less Grey's and read a little more of everything...

Collins is one of the most brilliant geneticists in the world. He led the human genome project that mapped the human genetic code. His parents were atheists who graduated from Yale, he had no religious training as a child, and had no belief in God until after he graduated from medical school, and then had a religious conversion. His current faith was not a product of his upbringing but is as a result of his thoughtful reflection on life as one of the most brilliant scientists and doctors in the world, and our place, as humans, in the universe. My point: you do not need to check your brain at the door to have religious faith. If you don't fine, but don't suggest that all people of faith are ignorant.

What is the latest book you have read? or what is your favorite book?

A. A reference book for a journal article I'm writing.
B. Catch-22 by Joseph Heller because it is so close to how the Air Force actually operates it's scary.

there's a scathing review of dawkins' latest in this week's "new york review of books." read _climbing mt. improbable_ or _the selfish gene_ first!

is the current film of the same name taken from your pd james recommendation?

read a book!

may i suggest,

As far as time is concerned, if you want to just read something, go to the bookstore, pick something slim and interesting-looking off the bestseller rack, and place it on your toilet tank. When you go to the can, read a few pages. If you can't multitask on the can.........

Collins is one of the most brilliant geneticists in the world. He led the human genome project that mapped the human genetic code. His parents were atheists who graduated from Yale, he had no religious training as a child, and had no belief in God until after he graduated from medical school, and then had a religious conversion. His current faith was not a product of his upbringing but is as a result of his thoughtful reflection on life as one of the most brilliant scientists and doctors in the world, and our place, as humans, in the universe. My point: you do not need to check your brain at the door to have religious faith. If you don't fine, but don't suggest that all people of faith are ignorant.
I intend to buy it soon. I've long passed the point of believing my parents' faith "just because," and I'd like to read Collins' book.

My parents are so far without religion that i cannot even classify them as atheiist... it was simply never discussed. Long story short, as i grew up i went o some church services here and ther for a bunch of different reasons and never really bought it, always considered myself to scientific to believe in this g*d character. Fact is though, and this is truth, the deeper i get in biology (especially metabolic biochem and mol bio,) the more i find it hard to ingore the possibility of some one/thing being responsible for it all, because it is just so insanely complex as to make me think it would be tough to come out randomly... that is my take on things though, and i am half asleep... goodnight all : )

My parents are so far without religion that i cannot even classify them as atheiist... it was simply never discussed. Long story short, as i grew up i went o some church services here and ther for a bunch of different reasons and never really bought it, always considered myself to scientific to believe in this g*d character. Fact is though, and this is truth, the deeper i get in biology (especially metabolic biochem and mol bio,) the more i find it hard to ingore the possibility of some one/thing being responsible for it all, because it is just so insanely complex as to make me think it would be tough to come out randomly... that is my take on things though, and i am half asleep... goodnight all : )
I just find it much easier to live a fun life if I believe there is no God to punish me for everything I do. :laugh:

What is the latest book you have read? or what is your favorite book? I am not really taking reading books as a hobby. I only used to read books in high school, now I only read text books, newspapers, and online articles. I do not want to sound closed minded or somthing. Thank you guys.

Come on you must remember ONE book that you enjoyed. Go back and read a synopsis, and maybe think about what you took away from the book.

Come on you must remember ONE book that you enjoyed.
Agreed. Spend an hour in a book store and you'll probably be pleasantly suprised to find a few titles that appeal to you.

There's no "right" answer to this question. I think premeds tend to overanalyze things. When the question is phrased "What's the last book you read?", it's perfectly okay to answer Elmore Leonard, Tom Clancy, or Lawrence Block. It doesn't have to be a great work of literature.

I'm not a big fan of novels....I never enjoyed just sitting still and I think that's why I never caught the reading bug. I was asked about reading in my interview and I was perfectly honest but I made a joke out of it because we got to reading because we we're talking about water activities and the beach. I got amazing feedback from my interview and afterwards, they told me it was nice to talk to someone who was just themself and not worried about impressing anybody! I ended up getting it!!!

Try Malcom Gladwell's The Tipping Point or Blink. They're fast reads, and they apply scientific research to interesting situations in everyday life. I feel like I could talk a lot in an interview about something I read in one of these books. Also, the book doesn't have to be in English! Go to your local library and grab something in your native language, you'll still be able to talk to interviewers about it. Plus it'll give you something to do on the plane.

Harry Potter and the Med School Interview?? :D

Currently working on the aforementioned The Language of God by Francis Collins. Finished off Blink by Malcolm Gladwell. Suggestion Every Other Thursday by Ellen Daniell for those of you going into research, Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder (about Paul Farmer) for anyone going into the clinics.

Of course, I read reports from the National Academies for fun. ;)

The purpose of this question is to get an insight into your personality and your interests outside of strictly academic pursuits. You could spin the question and answer that you prefer non-fiction articles that you read in insert name of your favorite magazine here. You could add that you particularly enjoy topic a, and topic b. You could add that you've never been a big fan of novels. There's no harm in answering in that way.

I intend to buy it soon. I've long passed the point of believing my parents' faith "just because," and I'd like to read Collins' book.

There is also an interesting chapter about his experiences in medical school and as a doctor, and his interactions with his patients, and how his perspective on life was altered by these interactions. I really recommend this book. Read it next summer if you don't have time now with med school responsibilities.

This can't be a serious question. In a med school interview where they are seeking well rounded applicants, you had better have read something besides a college text book at some point in the last couple of years. Go to a bookstore and pick up anything literary or non-fiction, ideally not written by a celebrity. After a weekend you will be able to answer this question. Problem solved.

Oh man.. Not Francis Collins and his magic book again.. He alienated a lot of people at NIH with that book. He is way too preachy and "feel good" for me. I used to work down the hall from him at the NHGRI.. If you ever work for the National Human Genome Research Institute, skip the office holiday party.. trust me.. you'll be glad you did when your co-workers tell you about the 12 Days of Christmas sing-a-long, with the ever optimistic Dr. Collins leading the sing-a-long with his guitar and his trusty side kick Elliot on the keyboard... Oh no, you can't bring alcohol onto the NIH campus! Its federal property! But if you are the director of an institute, you can sure make all of your employees sing Christmas songs at your non-denominational holiday party!

If you seriously don't read books, there's no way you can answer that question except for "I don't read books." Excuses of not having enough time ring a bit hollow, especially when you're talking to physicians or surgeons or even lowly med students. You say you should read when you want to read, which is fair enough, but it seems like you just don't want to read. So be upfront about it.

And yes, it will sound close-minded. That's what you get for only doing things you WANT to do instead of things that you know will teach you something about the human condition.

Well, for someone who feels that "not reading" is close-minded, I think it's pretty closed minded of you, someone whom I assume reads and learns about the human condition - thus learning that the human condition and human experience is full of diversity and variation - to think that "not reading" is being narrow minded. It's also somewhat pretentious...

You don't need to read books or literature to learn about the human condition - it's not rocket science either, and anyone who thinks not reading is close-minded needs to re-check their minds. I don't read often, and if I get asked that question, I'll say so - I don't think the interviewers would mind, not everyone reads books and you sure as hell shouldn't feel ashamed if you don't - if you truly learned anything from your university education, you should understand why.

Yeah, just read a book man... Everyone I've ever really looked up to as a leader and a role model has been very well read. Reading books is good for you.

They don't have to be fiction, I hardly read any, but there are plenty of interesting non-fiction titles. Quick reads ~500/600 words. Like hail mary suggested books like blink are always good because 99.999999% chance your interviewer has heard of/read them. (if you're reading only to answer an interview question that is...)

It's not that I hate reading or anything. My major was just far away from humanities. I majored in mathematics. I read only one english book while in undergrad. because I only took one Lit course till now. I did like it, but it was a year and a half ago. Don't take me as I am a slacker or anything, during my undergrad. I maintained doing well in classes, did many clinical volunteering, participated in research, played intramural sports, etc. My english is not my first. My worst grades in undergrad were the ones I got in my english courses. I am not making any excuses. I just tend not to enjoy reading books for fun. as I said before, I read newspapers, online journals mainly. hope that helps. Please, do not judge that I am a closed minded before you know me.

Thanks for all the opinions and responses

Honestly, just get a book that looks interesting, doesnt have to deal with medicine, or academia. Something, anything that interests you...and read it before you go to sleep every night. Especially if you say that English isnt your first language, reading will only help you and improve your verbal and literary skills.

And like the others have mentioned, they're looking for someone who is well rounded, who shows an aspect of their personality through something like reading. It could be medical related such as Complications, because it provides insight into a surgeon's life through the eyes of a surgeon or it could be a fun fiction such as the devil wears prada because you can live vicariously through the book which makes up for your lack of taste in fashion.

There's no reason you can't find time to spare to read ONE book over one of your seasonal break (fall, winter, spring, and summer) in your entire college career.

Edit: Better yet, Go without logging on for SDN for a day and spend the time reading. *GASP*

plus its a conversation starter. Wouldn't you rather talk about the last book you read than get grilled on how to reduce the cost of medicine? This is a gimme question which should give you a good oportunity to show you have some personality.

read a book!

may i suggest,

I'm in the middle of The God Delusion. I'm definitely enjoying his logical arguments and the comic elements he inserts along the way. However, I by no means believe it to be on par with a more philosophical discussion of atheism and the proofs inherent in that sort of discourse.

lol, I have a job and I'm a busy person but I still manage to cram in a book every month or two. Really, you don't have to be up to the minute on books, but there really isn't a way to answer this if you don't actually read books (duh).

you must have read one book through your high school or university years. I know premed life is tough so maybe not university years (unless you are an English major).

What I think you should do is...try to remember one book that made an impact in your life and read up on it a bit...wikipidea can be wonderful.

if you didnt read any books...just try to think of good book to movie adaptations and watch the movie. eg. Fight club, Kill the mockingbird, Lord of the flies, A Clockwork Orange, etc, etc. lol

Oh man.. Not Francis Collins and his magic book again.. He alienated a lot of people at NIH with that book. He is way too preachy and "feel good" for me. I used to work down the hall from him at the NHGRI.. If you ever work for the National Human Genome Research Institute, skip the office holiday party.. trust me.. you'll be glad you did when your co-workers tell you about the 12 Days of Christmas sing-a-long, with the ever optimistic Dr. Collins leading the sing-a-long with his guitar and his trusty side kick Elliot on the keyboard... Oh no, you can't bring alcohol onto the NIH campus! Its federal property! But if you are the director of an institute, you can sure make all of your employees sing Christmas songs at your non-denominational holiday party!

And do something equivalent to mapping the human genetic code, and then we will all listen reverently while you play the guitar and sing Michael Jackson songs.

Someone has already posted that when he got asked this question - he was completely honest and said that he does not read books (i.e., novels) and that he was still accepted. He mentioned something along the lines - the interview is a chance to get to KNOW you and how you interact with others - are you well spoken, are you confident, are you pleasant, aggressive, passive, shy, etc.

If you come off as arogant or being too confrontational when challenged - this is not good.

If you get caught lying, this is not good. If you are insincere, this is no good.

Everything else, such as the correct answers - you need not worry. I know people who have been asked about their opinions on the health minister's policy - they didn't know who the minister was nor the policy...WOW, they must be living in hole with no life other than academics. They got accepted.

Listen, if you get asked a question on a topic that you are not familiar with (such as reading) - it's not a bad thing, don't worry about it - be honest. Do not try and contrive an answer to try and impress the interviewer. You don't need to read novels to be well-rounded...I know many people, myself included, who are well-rounded but who do not read novels regularly. I also know people who read novels and they are complete pr*cks - so what does this mean?

Alright, so don't worry. They just want to see that

First: You got a good head.

Second: You got a good heart.

After that, you can't paint a picture of a typical medical professional:

some people are gay, some people are straight, some people are religious, some do not believe in god, some have liberal views, some are neo-conservative bush loving islam hating racists (sdn users i've encountered), some read books, others play x-box360, some go fishing, others go white water rafting, some can speak perfect english, others are ESL, some are Americans, some are Canadians who are obviously going to go back to Canada to practice, some are Americans who are obviously going back to the US to practice....all these different types of people get into US and Canadian medical schools.

Do you honestly think that medical school admissions sorts through all the applicants and only admits those who are liberal, open-minded, and "well-rounded??" Not so - I know someone, the biggest misogynist I know, who started off university as anti-sinic, who is now anti-semitic (and vocal about it) - and he's in medical school. His social skills were poor as well. This didn't stop him from gaining admission to a top canadian medical school (as in ranked by maclean's as #1 for last several years).

Do you think that diversity only pertains to ethnicities???

People do not have to "do" the same things as "YOU" or the things that "YOU believe - and what a segment of society believes to be trait enhancing activities" in order to be well-rounded.

Honestly, just get a book that looks interesting, doesnt have to deal with medicine, or academia. Something, anything that interests you...and read it before you go to sleep every night. Especially if you say that English isnt your first language, reading will only help you and improve your verbal and literary skills.

And like the others have mentioned, they're looking for someone who is well rounded, who shows an aspect of their personality through something like reading. It could be medical related such as Complications, because it provides insight into a surgeon's life through the eyes of a surgeon or it could be a fun fiction such as the devil wears prada because you can live vicariously through the book which makes up for your lack of taste in fashion.

You're right, of course, but being well-rounded is over-rated. I tend to think of people who are well-rounded as flighty and unable to focus. The problem with medical school admissions is that it selects heavily against the reasonably intelligent people who just want to go fishing on the weekend, not pass out free needles,help crack ****** obtain abortions, or do pro-bono hospice in the latino community...you know, the typical pre-med things.

I despise working for free, especially when it is on my own time and if given the choice of volunteering at useless and idiotic things or throwing the frisbee for my dog, I'd pick the dog every time. Why can't I put "Frisbee Catch with my Black Lab, Persephone" down as an acitivity.

If I ever see something like that on an application it's going to the top of the pile.

You're right, of course, but being well-rounded is over-rated. I tend to think of people who are well-rounded as flighty and unable to focus. The problem with medical school admissions is that it selects heavily against the reasonably intelligent people who just want to go fishing on the weekend, not pass out free needles,help crack ****** obtain abortions, or do pro-bono hospice in the latino community...you know, the typical pre-med things.

I despise working for free, especially when it is on my own time and if given the choice of volunteering at useless and idiotic things or throwing the frisbee for my dog, I'd pick the dog every time. Why can't I put "Frisbee Catch with my Black Lab, Persephone" down as an acitivity.

If I ever see something like that on an application it's going to the top of the pile.

I put down on one secondary that I play air-drums at parties. I got an interview. Will I get an acceptance- I dunno. Will I do an air drum-roll when I get their decision letter- yes.

I got into a decent discussion about "Tthe World is Flat" by Friedman at my last interview... it lead to a good discussion about the patient demographics in the area around the school and comparing them to the ones back at home.

I think "well rounded" is what students with low scores call themselves, thereby giving themselves hope that they may get a couple interviews . . .

People with solid credentials don't call themselves "well-rounded". They call themselves "accepted".