does anybody use Microcards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

citixen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anybody use Microcards? a these good?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
yes. i annotated some of the memorable pictures and mnemonics from CMMRS on to my microcards as i went through the course. quite useful

Members don't see this ad :)
kind of off-topic, I got this great iphone app, flashcards deluxe, that i made flash cards off my FA. Its got the options of putting in pics and heart sounds, and its customizable, allowing me to annotate interesting info off uworld/qbank. Look into it.

Grr... battle of the iPhone apps. My vote is for Mental Case. They let you add photos + sounds as well, plus you can download ready-made sets for free from the website FlashCardExchange (a good site to checkout regardless - lots of USMLE prep there). If you buy their desktop software, you can also create a flashcard set out of an excel document + fancier options.

Grr... battle of the iPhone apps. My vote is for Mental Case. They let you add photos + sounds as well, plus you can download ready-made sets for free from the website FlashCardExchange (a good site to checkout regardless - lots of USMLE prep there). If you buy their desktop software, you can also create a flashcard set out of an excel document + fancier options.

I got the Mental Case app (the paid version) but when I try to export a card set from Flashcard Exchange, it says I need to upgrade my free account into a paid account. You mentioned in your post that you could download sets for free. How exactly do you do this? A step-by-step instruction would be helpful if you have time. Thanks so much!

EDIT: Nevermind, I found out how to do it.

Last edited:
And do you find the material on Flashcard Exchange to be reliable and good quality study material for Step 1?

Thanks again

And do you find the material on Flashcard Exchange to be reliable and good quality study material for Step 1?

Thanks again

So, I think you may need to actually pay for the $3 Mental Case iPhone app. Once you download it and open it on your iPhone (make sure you have a wireless connection), click on the "Exchange" button at the bottom (it has a picture of a hand). Once there, click the "Search" button and search for whatever flashcard you want. It'll show you a search results list, press the one you want and then press the download button at the bottom of that screen. If you have any questions, feel free to message me. The following website may also help clear up any of your questions:

http://www.macflashcards.com/iphone

As for the reliability of the flashcards, there are TONS of flashcards people have made for the USMLE. Each set has a "Saved Set" number which is how many other people saved that set in their account. I consider that as a barometer of which ones are worth downloading. Take an hour to search through FlashcardExchange and find particular ones you want, then go onto your iPhone/iPod and download those. I recently downloaded one for FA-Psychiatry that had over 300 flashcards. This person basically went line by line in the FA-Psych. section and made flashcards (and many iterations of the same point). I only got through ~134 of the cards but they weren't bad and I can definitely see them as being useful during Boards studying to help solidify FA into my memory. Hope this helps!

does anybody use Microcards? a these good?

I used them in our first year micro class and thought they were great. They pretty much have everything on them, and not much extra info at all. I took notes on them from CMMRS if needed.

This year, we did infectious disease pathology and I looked over them again -- the more I see them, the more familiar I become, and will definitely be using them for board prep for this summer. :)