Haku

10+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I feel like i FAILED...not like oh, i didn't get the 260 I wanted and instead got a 240 failed, but a i didnt get the 184 or whatever the passing score is for this year type of fail. The test was NOTHING like the kaplan tests I was so used to taking, and by the end I had gotten used to them and started feeling confident. Granted I wasnt doing well, but I got to the 60s and 70s which was much better than the 50s I was getting just two weeks ago. And the dreams I have of passing...shattered! Should I start studying for round 2 again?

For anyone who hasnt taken the test...TAKE THE NBMEs, I made a huge mistake and didn't do it, but the test is not at all like the kaplan tests and not doing it put me at a disadvantage. My parents said taking the NBMEs would "scare me" so I listened to them, but I would DEF. take them and sometimes its good to be scared!

Also, even though every test is different, I feel they are mostly path/pathophys based and THEY LOOOVE the up/down arrows, know what goes up and down with almost everything you can imagine cold.

For me in the end its going to come down to a guessing game...how many questions at the end of each block when i picked C for the last 4 answers were actually C? :luck:

Bubb Rubb

Woo woo!
10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
while i can't assure you that you passed, keep in mind that just about everybody feels a little deflated walking out of the testing center. i personally felt drained, without even a hint of elation, after i was done.

YouDontKnowJack

I no something you don't
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2005
Status
don't cry...
dry, your eye.

here's an oreo

About the Ads
OP
H

Haku

10+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Deflated is one thing...going back through FA and the path to see EVERYTHING you missed is a MISERABLE feeling, and seeing that you missed over 30 already...that you can remember! How many more?!?

PsychoDan

10+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2006
Status
Haku said:
Deflated is one thing...going back through FA and the path to see EVERYTHING you missed is a MISERABLE feeling, and seeing that you missed over 30 already...that you can remember! How many more?!?

So FA indeed has lots of answers?

Rbrav

15+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Haku said:
In the days following the test, I realized about 20 questions that I missed. I got a 244, so it's certainly possible to know you missed a lot and still get a good score.

Of course, now I can't stop wondering what my score would have been if I'd gotten those 20 right ...

VincentAdultman

10+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2005
New York
Status
Attending Physician
Haku said:

DON'T do that!

You're only going to make yourself freak out more if you review stuff asfter the test to see what you got right/wrong. My advice: drink heavily. Get really drunk so you forget everything you were tested on. Then you'll think you did well.

By the way, you are supposed to feel like you did awful. No one walks out of the center thinking they crushed step one. I thought I barely passed and got a 245. Be positive!

YouDontKnowJack

I no something you don't
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2005
Status
Pompacil said:
No one walks out of the center thinking they crushed step one. I thought I barely passed and got a 245. Be positive!

You're wrong. P53 felt like he crushed it.

OP
H

Haku

10+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Yea, FA did actually have a lot. Memorizing that cold would have helped me, but I guess i blanked on the test, esp in the begining. I put PKU for a SWEET smelling diaper, which is pretty pathetic after memorizing PU PKU and maple syrup urine a hundred times, but what can you do. It helped tons for the anatomy, and it would have for biochem had i known it, but the arrows are what really screwed me. And so far ive just looked up the answers that were "easy"..the hard ones that i had no clue about i still dont remember.

Has anyone heard of an intense program where they do one on one tutoring for the boards? My dean recommended it if we fail...offered in two different states.

(nicedream)

Fitter Happier
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2004
The Sea
Status
Haku said:
You only remember the ones you were stuck on, and therefore have a lower probability of getting right. You can probably miss 150 questions and still pass.

YouDontKnowJack

I no something you don't
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2005
Status
Haku said:
Yea, FA did actually have a lot. Memorizing that cold would have helped me,

uh huh. everyone says to memorize FA frozen, but doesn't seem like many do.

About the Ads