Does anyone else feel this way?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrThom

Thundercat
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read some of these "what are my chances" threads and there is definately some good advice on there.

However,

I have noticed that when some people list their ECs and have a very diverse list some people will respond "I see hospital experience/research, you are on the right track but you're ECs are lacking".

This makes me sad.

I know the field. I know what I am getting myself in to. However, Medicine is something I will do for the rest of my life. I am taking the time to do the things that I won't be able to do once my career gets rolling. So yes, I spent my college days playing my trombone/IM football/(insert non-medical activity here). And I spent more time doing that than I did in a hospital or shadowing. And I will list this EC to prove to the adcoms that I am not a one-tracked machine. The moral of my story....please, don't knock the non-medical EC on the people asking for advice. They are just doing the same.

Members don't see this ad.

DrThom said:
I've read some of these "what are my chances" threads and there is definately some good advice on there.

However,

I have noticed that when some people list their ECs and have a very diverse list some people will respond "I see hospital experience/research, you are on the right track but you're ECs are lacking".

This makes me sad.

I know the field. I know what I am getting myself in to. However, Medicine is something I will do for the rest of my life. I am taking the time to do the things that I won't be able to do once my career gets rolling. So yes, I spent my college days playing my trombone/IM football/(insert non-medical activity here). And I spent more time doing that than I did in a hospital or shadowing. And I will list this EC to prove to the adcoms that I am not a one-tracked machine. The moral of my story....please, don't knock the non-medical EC on the people asking for advice. They are just doing the same.
I don't think they are mocking the non-med ECs DrThom. In fact, I doubt they are even talking about them.
Comments like "your ECs are lacking" are used if the OP is lacking specifically in med related ECs, not to belittle the existing non-med ECs.

DrThom said:
Whatever, I think these people are full of ****. I did very little med-related extra-curriculurs, and I didn't have any problems in the admissions process. I personally felt like writing down a lot of non-med stuff generated lots of discussion in the interviews and stuff. adcoms are just looking to make sure you have enough hospital-related stuff to understand what it's like working with sick people all the time. once you prove that to them, it seems like non-premed stuff is a whole lot more fun to talk about.

Members don't see this ad :)
KNightInBlue said:
I don't think they are mocking the non-med ECs DrThom. In fact, I doubt they are even talking about them.
Comments like "your ECs are lacking" are used if the OP is lacking specifically in med related ECs, not to belittle the existing non-med ECs.

knightinblue i just found it interesting in your MDApp profile that you make some empahtic statements about GPA, individual classes and research and what not and their impact on admissions before you've even gotten half of your secondaries. I would definitely hold off judgement on that stuff until after you've been through the process.

jmho

based on my discussion with the head of admissions at dartmouth [and obviously all schools differ...] they want to see that youve had clinical experience so you know what youre getting youself into. they def. want to see that youre well rounded and are also involved in activities that youre passionate about - be it air hockey, band, or the school radio -- just make sure you can say, yeah - ive see the ugly side of medicine too, i dont have this idealized "ER" version of things

Don't worry about being the "super pre-med" who volunteered 1000 hours at the local hospital. You should just show that you know the field through your volunteer/or clinical experience. Do enough to show you know the field, dont just do what it takes to put it on an application.

NOW ABOUT EC'S ASIDE FROM MEDICINE: Use this to your advantage. Let them know what music means to you, as a release of stress and way to un-wind. I did this with one of my hobbies and made it a focus of my personal statement. I spent most of my college days surfing and I made my surfing a focus of my PS. Almost all my time outside of the classroom was spent surfing so I used this as a way to releive stress and get through tough times. I also used it to show my dedication to other pursuits.

In my opinion, the best EC's are one's that will make you stand out. This may or may not include medical oriented activities. :thumbup:

exmike said:
knightinblue i just found it interesting in your MDApp profile that you make some empahtic statements about GPA, individual classes and research and what not and their impact on admissions before you've even gotten half of your secondaries. I would definitely hold off judgement on that stuff until after you've been through the process.

jmho
Hey exmike,
I was writing that at 3 am, and forgot to mention those were the words of my premed advisor, not mine.
But you are absolutely correct, I should not have mentioned that. I wanted to let other applicants know my mistakes and warn them ahead of time. But you are right, I should do that AFTER the process is complete. I apologise and will remove it.

Thanks

I think the whole point of medically oriented EC's is for validation, to know what you're getting into. I don't see how someone whose got 2 years clinical experience will know significant more about what they're getting into than someone whose got 6 months of clinical experience.

Whenever I look at those lists of everyone's EC's the only thing that comes to mind is that Person A's list of EC's looks identical to Person B, C, D, etc. None of these EC's stand out at all when I look at them. Everyone lists the bland clinical experience and research but no one has looked for any other way of getting to know what the medical life is like. I don't have any volunteer time at the hospital and this doesn't worry me. I have volunteered with other agencies and have been involved in other ways and quite honestly I think listing the same EC's as every other applicant really doesn't show any originality and doesn't really make you stand out from the crowd. Like others have mentioned, use your non-medical EC's to make you stand out because everyone's EC list is nearly identical.