Does anyone else have a MS degree??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MountainClimber94

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently accepted to the MS Bio program at my local state school. PI is well-funded, respected in the science/medical community, and really cares for his grad students. From my interactions with him, and after talking to current students, I really feel like I hit a goldmine in having this professor as my PI/advisor. Financially, the cost for the degree will be practically free. Program is 2 years.

Personally, I do enjoy the lab setting. I feel that I am pursuing my own personal interests by doing this. The lab that I will be working in is a cancer research lab. My research focus will be on epigenetic and cell biology. Hoping to get some immunology (NK) work in as well. My dream is to one day become a pediatric oncologist.

My question is, does anyone on here hold a grad degree/are pursuing a grad degree and feel that it may help you in gaining admission?

Members don't see this ad.

I have an MS in chemistry and 4 additional years work in Pharma r&d. I was able to spin that convincingly as i had weak undergrad stats, and I'm now an intern in med peds with an eye for Infectious Disease. I'd say that if you are excited about it that this will translate into a benefit in admissions st the right place. Just be ready to answer the why Medicine instead of research question. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I was recently accepted to the MS Bio program at my local state school. PI is well-funded, respected in the science/medical community, and really cares for his grad students. From my interactions with him, and after talking to current students, I really feel like I hit a goldmine in having this professor as my PI/advisor. Financially, the cost for the degree will be practically free. Program is 2 years.

Personally, I do enjoy the lab setting. I feel that I am pursuing my own personal interests by doing this. The lab that I will be working in is a cancer research lab. My research focus will be on epigenetic and cell biology. Hoping to get some immunology (NK) work in as well. My dream is to one day become a pediatric oncologist.

My question is, does anyone on here hold a grad degree/are pursuing a grad degree and feel that it may help you in gaining admission?
One of the residents at the hospital that I work at earned an M.S. in Microbiology. Like @andrek82 said, you just have to spin it convincingly. Personally, I think that program sounds awesome and you seem really passionate about it which will serve you well during your interview.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a MS in biochemistry (mechanisms of DNA damage in cancer). Certainly helped for the path I'm currently on (academic med oncologist)

I have a MS in biochemistry (mechanisms of DNA damage in cancer). Certainly helped for the path I'm currently on (academic med oncologist)
Just curious but why did you go for an M.S.?

Just curious but why did you go for an M.S.?

I was an engineering major in UG and worked as one before deciding to do med school and the MS was a (in my case) free way to gain some some biomedical research skills, shadow, etc in preparation for med school

My background is research heavy (Emergency Medicine, Public Health, Immunotherapy, Synthetic Fuel/Chem Education). I have spent some time volunteering at local hospitals (~250 hours), food banks (~100 hours), and STEM outreach programs (~300 hours). As for shadowing, it's been mainly DO (150+ hours) and some MD (25 hours). This was over the course of 4 years (undergrad). I graduated with a BS in Biology and a Minor in Chemistry. Every research project I have worked on was presented to me. I enjoy research because I love the idea of asking a question, doing the work, and implementing my findings in the community, institution, etc. The MS degree was attractive to me because it will allow me to continue doing that in an academic sending with substantial financial resources. Of all the research that I've done I was torn between Public Health and Cancer research. I applied to a number of MPH programs, no luck. This was the only door to open for me. My undergrad record isn't amazing. MCAT is solid. I would like to think this could serve me well in expanding my interest for oncology.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I've seen many negatives comments made towards those who are getting a masters. Many of the comments say it won't help at all, may actually do more harm then good, is medicine really what you want to do, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The lab that I will be working in is a cancer research lab. My research focus will be on epigenetic and cell biology. Hoping to get some immunology (NK) work in as well. My dream is to one day become a pediatric oncologist.

cancer research
epigenetics
PI is well funded and has a heart

I would strongly recommend you to jump on it and hold off on MD application benefits

Most Pre-Med and MD students can not address your scenario since it is way over their heads. Remember that many of them are extremely immature and insecure. Today's 20 something is yesterday's adolescent developmental phase

Take a casual look at pipeline in pharma and biotech R&D...you will see epigenetics and cellular signaling pathways are key. With an MS Degree in hand from cancer research, you will be very marketable. You will also master pathology and pharmacology and biochemistry and histology! You indeed have a goldmine before you.

Former industry here, oncology, global conglomerate and yes I earned a Masters Degree (MBA).

Go for it. You are a rock star!

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with @cellsaver. You have a gold mine in front of you and I hope I can apply to medical school with that kind of research. It sounds fun!

MD schools do not count GPAs from research MS programs due to the rampant grade inflation. DO schools will.