Does anyone else keep a "diary" of their experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toddgurley

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been working 20 hours a week personally with a family of 5 whose dad is going through an intense treatment program offered at my university hospital. My interactions with them and their kids are so intimate and I just have a lot of emotions (happiness, anxiousness, even awkwardness) to pour out and this makes me want to just start a diary of sorts to log in my thoughts. Does anyone else do this for their clinical experiences? How does it help you? Also, I don't know how crazy this sound but when writing these personal things in a journal (physical copy) should I try to be careful about who could read it due to patient privacy or even omit certain things from being written down?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's a great idea. As long as you refrain from including identifiable patient data, and keep the diary safe, it sounds like something that can really help you reflect and grow as a clinician.

Reactions: 3 users
To most people, it might have seemed like nothing had changed. But it had a little. As for Ben, he actually responded to the chemo and went into remission. Hopefully, he won't be back, but who knows? Still, that's not what this story's about. It's about the day I realized that admitting we're not heroic is when we're the most heroic of all. I guess he'll always be a hero to me.

"He'll always be a hero to me." What a girl. What else we got?

I'm excited to start some writing now. Thanks :)