Does anyone else stick out like a sore thumb?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Empi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone else goes through this phenomonon, I am always the crone of the class and fellow classmates that I absolutely do not recognize know me in other venues.

For example, I went out to dinner with my family last Saturday and our waitress was in my Microbiology class, some kid in my Chem class recognized me in line at the Blockbuster.

People remember me from other classes when I don't know them from Joe.

There's no fading into the woodwork.

Please, tell me this happens to other people, too.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm wondering if anyone else goes through this phenomonon, I am always the crone of the class and fellow classmates that I absolutely do not recognize know me in other venues.

For example, I went out to dinner with my family last Saturday and our waitress was in my Microbiology class, some kid in my Chem class recognized me in line at the Blockbuster.

This happens to me all the time, usually with former students. They'll come up to me in random places (gym, grocery store, etc.), "Oh, hi, Q, I was in your XXX class two years ago." I usually remember them if they were my chemistry students. But if they were a Kaplan student and not in one of my regular classes, I might have subbed for their class of 30 maybe once or twice, and I never learned who they were in the first place. So I'll just smile and say, "Hey, great to see you! How are things going? Tell me your name again?" even though I have no earthly idea whatsoever who they are. :laugh: No one has ever called my bluff....so far anyway. :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
Trust me, there is nothing hot about me, it's my age.

I've always felt completely different than my classmates. I got married 2 weeks after graduating highschool and ran off to Colorado a few weeks later. I had a baby after my sophomore year of college. I have now been for the last 2 years in premed classes with a bunch of 19 and 20 yr olds while I am 28-29. In my head, I feel very displaced from them but I have come to realize that they don't even realize that I am not 20 unless I tell them. I guess I feel like I should stick out but I don't.

Well, from my nickname I think you know I definitely stick out but I don't think thats a good thing. Right now, you want to be remembered. Yeah, I understand that you want to blend in and do your thing, but there are times when you want to be noticed and you will if are that 'sore thumb.' Take it as a blessing.

Depending on how many mai tais I have had. Its called age. We are non trads....ALOHA FROM HAWAII!!!!!

i look young and don't dress "my age" in class. it doesn't help that i also have braces! i'm turning 28 in 3 months.

if i'm going to schlep my 500 lb organic chemistry textbook back and forth on the subway, up and down the hilltop that my school is perched on, and then walk to my apt, i'm going to be in hoodies and sweats, just like the rest of the undergrad class.

though, i think what gives me away is my intensity? i'm pretty serious in class and you will not see me sleeping in the back.

Well, I didn't stick out that much, despite being 29, I look like most of the college kids. With the exception that I was pregnant over the last 9 months, so I looked like a college kid who had gotten herself pregnant (got more than a few strange looks). Oh, it didn't help that my fingers were too swollen to wear my wedding ring either!

Many years ago, when getting my undergrad degree, there was this older guy... He was going to school part-time, so he only ended up in our classes occasionally. He always sat in the front row, paid attention, always did his homework and asked lots of questions in class. We hated that guy.

Now, I'm that guy :D
(gal, actually...)

I have highlights in my hair, so I don't stick out too much. If I didn't, the grey would give me away. I sit in the front, do all the work, answer questions, ask questions, and am disappointed with every grade I get. I think that is what makes me stick out. :oops:

Well, I didn't stick out that much, despite being 29, I look like most of the college kids. With the exception that I was pregnant over the last 9 months, so I looked like a college kid who had gotten herself pregnant (got more than a few strange looks). Oh, it didn't help that my fingers were too swollen to wear my wedding ring either!

Awww swollen fingers and a big belly taking classes. :clap: Good job! Got to love how people judge at first glance. My husband and I take our classes together and everyone gets so confused because we don't wear wedding rings. I have an allergy to metals and wearing them can be painful. I actually had one of the kids in my chem lab say, after I informed them we were married, "Oh, I saw the same last name. I didn't see any rings. You really confused me." Then gave me this look as if it were my duty to wear rings to contain the mass confusion. :rolleyes:

I talk way to much in class sometimes...so typically everyone knows who I am. I studied philosophy in undergrad and I was always the kid who got in heated arguments with profs and other students alike...the subject matter has changed but not me...not me.