Does anyone have any advise for studying for OAT in less than 3 months?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mina23shz

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

So I'm a first-gen college student in my family, and we moved to America from Iran about 7 years ago. I want to become an optometrist and what I didn't know is that I'm supposed to take the OAT the year before applying for Optometry school. I'm almost done with my bachelor's degree and set to graduate in spring 2021.
I was just told that I should take the OAT this summer to be able to apply to optometry school for fall 2021. This year is the year that I've also taken extra classes than I usually do, so my school load is higher and I barely have time to study for the OAT.
I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to study for the OAT in less than 3 months since I don't have much time to prepare for it? Is there a certain book source you would recommend for studying that would be the most beneficial?

Members don't see this ad.

In terms of material, I think using Chad to recap on Ochem/ Chem/ and Physics is more than sufficient. In terms of bio, feralis notes is also a great way to review everything. I personally felt like the bio section was a hit or miss depending on what questions you got. DAT bootcamp also has a great free physics resource! Just make sure you do as many practice tests as you can. If you decide to do Kaplan, don't feel discouraged by those scores since it is far harder than what you will encounter.

Reactions: 1 user
In terms of material, I think using Chad to recap on Ochem/ Chem/ and Physics is more than sufficient. In terms of bio, feralis notes is also a great way to review everything. I personally felt like the bio section was a hit or miss depending on what questions you got. DAT bootcamp also has a great free physics resource! Just make sure you do as many practice tests as you can. If you decide to do Kaplan, don't feel discouraged by those scores since it is far harder than what you will encounter.

Thank you!
DO you think Kaplan and the maybe the OAT destroyer is mostly where I can get a lot of practice tests?

Members don't see this ad :)
I studied for two weeks - chads videos is all you need.

Thank you!
DO you think Kaplan and the maybe the OAT destroyer is mostly where I can get a lot of practice tests?
Kaplan gives you 3practice tests! They're best purpose imp is helping with time management. OAT destroyer gives you a ton of practice question, many are difficult but they do all have explanations. DAT Bootcamp is the most representative of what the OAT questions will look like. It is only missing the physics section.

Kaplan gives you 3practice tests! They're best purpose imp is helping with time management. OAT destroyer gives you a ton of practice question, many are difficult but they do all have explanations. DAT Bootcamp is the most representative of what the OAT questions will look like. It is only missing the physics section.

Perfect thank you! I'll get the DAT Bootcamp and chad's videos for physics then!

You can use Kaplan and OAT Destroyer, but they make the physics unnecessarily complicated and might shake your confidence (especially Kaplan). I bought The Kaplan books and once I started using chads videos I never opened it again. His videos literally go topic to topic on what I saw on the actual OAT for all subjects (except biology - I didn’t review bio at all so I can’t attest to that part)

You can use Kaplan and OAT Destroyer, but they make the physics unnecessarily complicated and might shake your confidence (especially Kaplan). I bought The Kaplan books and once I started using chads videos I never opened it again. His videos literally go topic to topic on what I saw on the actual OAT for all subjects (except biology - I didn’t review bio at all so I can’t attest to that part)

hey! when you used chad videos, did you watch his videos on chadprep.com with the physics and chemistry bundles or on coursesaver?

hey! when you used chad videos, did you watch his videos on chadprep.com with the physics and chemistry bundles or on coursesaver?

Hmmmmm.... I think it was course saver. But he LITERALLY goes topic to topic on things you will see. I printed the OAT study guide and just highlighted the topics off after I reviewed them in chads module. Took OAT once and got accepted. It’s the easiest and most efficient method.

Hmmmmm.... I think it was course saver. But he LITERALLY goes topic to topic on things you will see. I printed the OAT study guide and just highlighted the topics off after I reviewed them in chads module. Took OAT once and got accepted. It’s the easiest and most efficient method.
okay, thanks! I know that coursesaver ($50 a month) breaks down each sections with only the topics that will be on the OAT. And Chadsprep.com, he has videos of all topics for the subject, but you have to manually look and see which topics you need to go over! I didn't know which route i wanted to go with.

Was there anything else you used besides Chad's videos to study for the OAT? I'm starting to study now and hopefully take the exam in mid-May.

Oh no girl my bad, I did chadsprep.com and paid like 10 bucks for a month. Printed the like five page OaT topic outline. Chad gives you outlines too so you can very easily cross reference and cover everything. Only issue is bio - but that sections is really just two equations and very general knowledge

Oh no girl my bad, I did chadsprep.com and paid like 10 bucks for a month. Printed the like five page OaT topic outline. Chad gives you outlines too so you can very easily cross reference and cover everything. Only issue is bio - but that sections is really just two equations and very general knowledge

oh okay! I printed out the outlines from Chad's videos. How did you study with his videos? And how did you set up your study schedule?

Hi Guys!
Just wanted to update.
I took my OAT after studying for 3 months and my academic average was 320! :)
Thank you everyone for guiding me towards the right study materials!
I ended up using chad's prep and DAT boot camp

Hi Guys!
Just wanted to update.
I took my OAT after studying for 3 months and my academic average was 320! :)
Thank you everyone for guiding me towards the right study materials!
I ended up using chad's prep and DAT boot camp
Congrats!!!