Does anyone have experience with a longitudinal integrated clerkship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maybedoc1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've recently been accepted off of the waitlist to a school that is undergoing a big curriculum reform. This school is probably my top choice for a number of reasons, but I want to make sure that I'm making the correct decision with all of the changes that are happening. The new curriculum will be a 12 month preclinical, followed by 12 month longitudinal integrated clerkships where you spend 4 hours a week in 5/6 core specialties with some 1-2 week inpatient blocks scattered in, followed by 4 months of more advanced science courses, and then mostly elective time for the remainder of the program.

There isn't a lot of information on LICs online, but from what I've read it gets very mixed reviews. Some people love it and some people say it's the worst idea ever. Some of the positives that people list are: working with the same preceptors all year long, developing longitudinal relationships with patients and preceptors, more empathy for patient experience, possibly better hours, etc. Some of the cons are: only spending 4 hours a week in a specialty, constantly shifting around (one day OB, the next IM, etc.) less inpatient experience, hard to get a true view of a specialty, etc.

So I'm wondering what people's experiences have been with this model? I see both the positives and the negatives. At the moment I am currently interested in more inpatient focused specialties and I'm worried that this model could be detrimental. However with all of the elective time that I will have later on, it may not be a problem if I do decide to go the inpatient focused route?

Members don't see this ad.