Does anyone keep their old notes and books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fumoffu

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For some reason I have trouble dumping these old notes and selling the books and they're piling up and collecting dust.

Just curious if anyone else does this.

Members don't see this ad.

i do it too. i'm not exactly sure why, but i do.

I totally have a shelf full of my binders from my premed classes and I feel horrible throwing them out but at this point I can't imagine I'll ever look at them again. What are you gonna do?

Members don't see this ad :)
Im actually. voluntarily saving all my notes and books coz I dont know, they maybe usefull sometimes. Iv'ed collected from the AP dayz till the Freshmen year. LOLZZZ

Gee 3 replies in like 2 minutes...and all of them doing the same thing I do!

I knew I wasn't the only neurotic one!

I keep and file all my old notes too. I've actually refered back to them when studying for another class that overlaps in materials.

yeah, i keep everything too...i'm one of those people with super-neat notes, so i can't imagine throwing all that away. i don't think i'll every look at it though...i never even studied from my notes in college :rolleyes:

I have super neat notes too. Amd a damn good penmanship to boot. All of the powerpoints my prof shows in class I ask for a hard copy on a disk and I study off of that. That gives me a little adavntage over other premeds lols. I currently hold a quarter of the memory in my computer dedicated to filed papers and powerpoints. AM I CRAZY? I DONT HAVE A LIFE>>> HELP!!!

I kept everything from every high school class and then threw it away after I started college, and I just started throwing out college stuff. It's hard, but I have to get rid of the crap. It means nothing now. I just keep the books I think I will need in med school.

books, i keep.

notes, i throw in the recycling bin.

every time.

OMG I keep all my stuff too!! LOL

I have referred back to some of it but mostly it just sits there. I dont plan on ever throwing it out because it's kinda cool to look back at all the work I have done and classes I stressed over in the past.

I keep really good, neat notes I just can't get rid of it....lol , too much hard work put into it all!

M

Yea, I keep all of my old notebooks and my penmanship isn't anything to write home about. I'm kinda glad it turns out I'm not the only one. I keep thinking that maybe I'll need something out of them someday, but that day has yet to come...

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Cerberus
I throw everything out and usually sell the book back.

Same here unless it's information that's not going to be outdated in a couple of years. All my immuno stuff is in the trash cause it changes so fast, same with most of my pharm stuff.

LOL, good to see that there are other academic-pack-rats out there!!!! I have been known to keep some books and notes, but when sometimes there's nothing like selling back your old books/throwing away the notes........its like burning it in effigy without running the risk of arson :D

Should we have like some ceremonial tossing out of the old notes day or something? I feel like I need permission to get rid of them, but I think the closure would be good too.

I was keeping them thinking I might need to reapply....and study for the MCAT again....

but I don't. Hallelujah.

I keep all my notes though I have no idea why since I take horrible notes.

I usually sell my books back and I've since regretted selling some of them.

I guess I'm backwards

i usually throw away everything unless i know someone taking the class the following term who wants my old stuff.

however, i have kept one or two books and a coursepack (notes the prof makes that you can buy at the bookstore). since i continually learn the same things in biology type classes i do use that coursepack (it's from intro. bio.) to relearn stuff instead of whatever huge, scary book the new class is using.

it's always best to throw stuff away, though. the amount of space that crap takes up is not worth the tiny bit of help you might possibly be able to get from looking at the notes and books again. not to mention that you can make some of your money back from the books!

I never throw out stuff at the end of that semester, but when the next semester ends, and I go to file the most recent stuff, I look through my old notes and books and whatnot and then decide what to sell/recycle. Its always nice to have that cold hard cash in your hand as a reward for getting through a ****ty class. I'm also a big fan of selling books on the internet cause our campus bookstore really rips us off, especially if you're prof decided you needed a new edition.

As a side note - I was keeping a bunch of old class stuff because I thought I would be needing it to review for the MCAT. How silly of me! With my review class (PR), I've got more than I could ever read and review, and its a heck of a lot more comprehensive than my random class notes. If this is your motivation for being an academic pack rat, you ought to reevaluate why you're keeping that many pounds and cubic feet of crap you'll never look at again.

Overall message: Keep it for a semester, then trash what you've haven't needed.

i try to sell as many books as possible but not to the bookstore cause they only give like 10-15% back. now i just try to copy all of the material from the books. theres this cheap copy place that charges 2.9 cents/p. ive become quite adept at copying now. hahaha. as far as keeping things goes, i usually start throwing old notes away after ive kept them for a year. but i always, always keep graded materials. hahaha. im paranoid about them messing up my grades. one time i actually got a b in a physics lab and i emailed the professor saying this and that. and what do you know? he actually messed up my grade!

Yea I keep all of my notes also. I actually have notes from HS classes still on my bookshelf.

I try to sell books though, as soon as I can bc many of them go out of text.

I keep everything, which is kinda stupid of me. I even kept my English Lit and Western Civ textbooks. I hated English Lit, why the heck would I keep the book?

The one thing I did get rid of was the MCAT prep book. As soon as the MCAT was over, I threw that thing in the trash with a great big thud. It was a very enjoyable experience.

Originally posted by Tiki

The one thing I did get rid of was the MCAT prep book. As soon as the MCAT was over, I threw that thing in the trash with a great big thud. It was a very enjoyable experience.

Did a wave of premeds emerge from the labs and hospitals and fight each other to the death over them?

When I changed majors at the end of my junior year I got rid of a lot of notes - a whole trash bag - I didn't realize I had held on to that much stuff. I could only do it because I changed majors though - it was cathartic and I knew I was never going back...

But my new major was so interesting, and now that I've graduated... I probably need to go through everything again... but I can't bring myself to it!

I started saving notes in high school, and you know what I did to solve the problem then? I gave everything to my sister!

No guilt for trashing years of hard work! Only pride that one of your own flesh and blood is going to thrive now that you've given them the secrets of academic success.

Yes, my notes are that good! Mwahahahahahaha!

Actually, I think she threw them away when I wasn't looking, but at least I didn't have to. :)