does anyone know about FAMU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GATOR Girl

Jenny
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Has anyone heard about FAMU in Tallahassee, FL? They don't participate with PharmCas. Does anyone know if they require letters of recommendation? I couldn't find the forms to print.

Thank you much!

Members don't see this ad.

FAMU doesn't require LOR however it wouldn't hurt to have your professors write one for you. their school is fairly hard to get into if you're not coming straight from high school. they only accept a small number of 1st year professional students since they have a 6yr program.

I've applied there and had so many problems with their application process and i've heard the same from others. usually the problem is that they have 'mysteriously' lost your paperwork (i.e. transcipts, essay...). for my case, i sent it multiples times with signature confirmations and for some reason they still didn't 'get it'. oh well..also they take forever to send a rejection/acceptance letter to you. i didn't get my acceptance till July but I decided not to go because of my experience with them and because i got into my first choice.

RxFabulous said:
FAMU doesn't require LOR however it wouldn't hurt to have your professors write one for you. their school is fairly hard to get into if you're not coming straight from high school. they only accept a small number of 1st year professional students since they have a 6yr program.

I've applied there and had so many problems with their application process and i've heard the same from others. usually the problem is that they have 'mysteriously' lost your paperwork (i.e. transcipts, essay...). for my case, i sent it multiples times with signature confirmations and for some reason they still didn't 'get it'. oh well..also they take forever to send a rejection/acceptance letter to you. i didn't get my acceptance till July but I decided not to go because of my experience with them and because i got into my first choice.

Thanks for your reply! How do you like pharmacy school at UF? My brother is probably in your class! This is his first year at UF also. He said it's tuff!! What do you think?
Thanks again!
Jenny

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think so! Are you thinking about applying to FAMU?

GATOR Girl said:
I don't think so! Are you thinking about applying to FAMU?

of course, no PCAT, i love school with NO PCAT

Yeah, I hear you! Have you called FAMU? they are so nice! I just hope they consider our applications since we are transfers. Are you from Florida?

GATOR Girl said:
Yeah, I hear you! Have you called FAMU? they are so nice! I just hope they consider our applications since we are transfers. Are you from Florida?
what their #, i tried to email them but they never answer me, i emailed Ms. Leolar Miller

Here you go! 850-599-3016. I've never emailed them, but they're good about answering the phone :D

GATOR Girl said:
Here you go! 850-599-3016. I've never emailed them, but they're good about answering the phone :D

Thank you, do you know when is the deadline to turn it in? cuz school is not a rolling admission so no need to turn in early?

WorcesterPHOBoy said:
Thank you, do you know when is the deadline to turn it in? cuz school is not a rolling admission so no need to turn in early?

Deadline is february 1! I'm not sure when interviews take place, but it's probably after that date. Good luck to you :luck:

GATOR Girl said:

They are not nice at all! Not the lady I spoke with last time. I had called about the application for 2006 and all she could say was "it's all online" when in fact it wasn't! I just looked at the site and it is updated with the current application when I called it was still the application for 2005. What a dumb witch (oops.... did I misspell that??)

If the way that she spoke is any indication of how the school is then I sure as hell won't be applying there!

MaybeCO2010 said:
They are not nice at all! Not the lady I spoke with last time. I had called about the application for 2006 and all she could say was "it's all online" when in fact it wasn't! I just looked at the site and it is updated with the current application when I called it was still the application for 2005. What a dumb witch (oops.... did I misspell that??)

If the way that she spoke is any indication of how the school is then I sure as hell won't be applying there!

Wow! Sorry to hear that. That's not very professional of FAMU. I have heard really good things about the school itself. Maybe the lady you spoke to was on her way out :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
GATOR Girl said:
Wow! Sorry to hear that. That's not very professional of FAMU. I have heard really good things about the school itself. Maybe the lady you spoke to was on her way out :laugh:

I hope so.... if not she soon will..

Gatorgirl...UF so far has treated me well except there's soo much stuff to learn in such a small amount of time.

As for FAMU i think you've been very lucky to actually speak to them. just wait till it's closer to the deadline, all they do is have their answering machines on but yet they never return your calls. Also even tho their deadline isn't until Feb i would recommend getting everything in soon just in case they're 'missing' anything. Goodluck!

RxFabulous said:
Gatorgirl...UF so far has treated me well except there's soo much stuff to learn in such a small amount of time.

As for FAMU i think you've been very lucky to actually speak to them. just wait till it's closer to the deadline, all they do is have their answering machines on but yet they never return your calls. Also even tho their deadline isn't until Feb i would recommend getting everything in soon just in case they're 'missing' anything. Goodluck!

Thank you! I really want to go to UF, but it's so hard to get in. I did speak to the assistant dean at UF, and he was real nice. Do you have any advice for applying to UF? Anything that may increase my chances of getting in??

Thanks again!

GATOR Girl said:
Thank you! I really want to go to UF, but it's so hard to get in. I did speak to the assistant dean at UF, and he was real nice. Do you have any advice for applying to UF? Anything that may increase my chances of getting in??

Thanks again!

I really wanna go too! please help me

I'm sure what i say has already been said by others. Since UF only gives interviews for the select few, i would just recommend doing well in your classes, PCATs, and writing a great essay since they only look at these. But if your GPA isn't higher than atleast a 3.0 then i would retake classes to get a better grade.
Also, if you just want to stay in FL then you can apply to PBA and NOVA. From my experience these schools are fairly easier to get into. Once you've gotten an interview from these places, your gpa and pcat scores are practically nonexistent. the interview is pretty much to see what kind of person you are and 'who are you' in the interview will either get you accepted/rejected from these schools.
If you have any other ques...feel free to PM me :)

RxFabulous said:
I'm sure what i say has already been said by others. Since UF only gives interviews for the select few, i would just recommend doing well in your classes, PCATs, and writing a great essay since they only look at these. But if your GPA isn't higher than atleast a 3.0 then i would retake classes to get a better grade.
Also, if you just want to stay in FL then you can apply to PBA and NOVA. From my experience these schools are fairly easier to get into. Once you've gotten an interview from these places, your gpa and pcat scores are practically nonexistent. the interview is pretty much to see what kind of person you are and 'who are you' in the interview will either get you accepted/rejected from these schools.
If you have any other ques...feel free to PM me :)

my gpa is 3.74 and what PCAT they need PBA and NOVA? my 1st pCAt is 7% =\

WorcesterPHOBoy said:
my gpa is 3.74 and what PCAT they need PBA and NOVA? my 1st pCAt is 7% =\

Awesome GPA!!! Mine is only a 3.55 :( Did you take the October PCAT? If so, how did you do?

PhoBoy your GPA is pretty good but i think i would try to work on the PCATs. although i did say that PBA and NOVA are easier to get into...you still need atleast a 70% for them to consider you.

Also, Gator girl if your gpa is a 3.5 then i would think atleast an 80% would give you a high chance of being accepted by UF.

RxFabulous said:
PhoBoy your GPA is pretty good but i think i would try to work on the PCATs. although i did say that PBA and NOVA are easier to get into...you still need atleast a 70% for them to consider you.

Also, Gator girl if your gpa is a 3.5 then i would think atleast an 80% would give you a high chance of being accepted by UF.

Thank you! So you think that a 3.5 is high enough for UF? I just need to score high on the PCAT. If I didn't do well on the Oct. PCAT, do you think it will look bad to take it again in January?
Thanks again!

GATOR Girl said:
Thank you! So you think that a 3.5 is high enough for UF? I just need to score high on the PCAT. If I didn't do well on the Oct. PCAT, do you think it will look bad to take it again in January?
Thanks again!

yes...your gpa is good if this is the science gpa. and if you want to take the PCATs in Jan it's fine too. UF will still consider those scores even if they receive it after Feb. Goodluck and hope to see you in the coming class! :luck: