Quantcast

Does anyone know the difference??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fish0890

Reaction score
Does anyone know the difference between a Graduate Diploma of Dentistry vs DDS/DMD ?

wigglytooth

Assistant Wiggle-ator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
At first I thought this question was the typical DDS vs DMD. I think a Graduate Diploma of Dentistry would either refer to an international diploma that certifies people to practice dentistry (based on the structure of their education) OR a researcher type degree in the US (like a master's in oral biology). I'm not really sure.

If you want to be a full on dentist in the US then you need a DDS/DMD, and in that case there is no difference between the two.

hifive

Reaction score
I have heard about the graduate diploma of dentistry I think its offered in europe or australia (cant remember). But I think there is essentially a two part program and the the graduate diploma of dentistry is the second part which makes you dentist, I think? Is this like a 5-year program in total? I dont think degrees in europe/australia are transferable here.