Does anyone know what UCSF's cardiology strong suit is?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted913979

In addition to EP, is it known for anything specific?

Members don't see this ad.

a high cost of living

Reactions: 2 users
echo and ACHD are strong, strong research enterprise.. cath lab and HF are weak in terms of clinical volume.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
i think she is still there part-time.

I don't think I agree that CHF is weak at UCSF. The high cost of living in Manhattan and San Francisco does cause some attrition of faculty, however, including in CHF and other areas. Probably the private clinics and group practices are poaching the faculty as well (and can pay better).

I don't think I agree that CHF is weak at UCSF. The high cost of living in Manhattan and San Francisco does cause some attrition of faculty, however, including in CHF and other areas. Probably the private clinics and group practices are poaching the faculty as well (and can pay better).
The reason I called HF weak was as their transplant and VAD volumes are low compared to other major centers in Cali (UCLA, Stanford and Cedars). They have famous Faculty (De Marco, Teerlink etc). The heart failure service at Moffitt is run top-down and the director can be very judgmental with fellows and young faculty.

The reason I called HF weak was as their transplant and VAD volumes are low compared to other major centers in Cali (UCLA, Stanford and Cedars). They have famous Faculty (De Marco, Teerlink etc). The heart failure service at Moffitt is run top-down and the director can be very judgmental with fellows and young faculty.

This is pretty much why CHF at UCSF is weak right? Low volumes in VADs/transplants doesn't get you the exposure you need to succeed clinically. I'm sure their research is top notch, but other than that, why go here for CHF (or anything else for that matter; ****ing A it's 4k for a 1BR apartment).

Reactions: 1 user
As some one who has interacted with UCSF folks on HF national circuit, my impression is that their threshold to transplant/VAD is quite high (unlike other famous centers on west coast) and they are restrictive in their listing. I sometimes refer patients to UCSF and places in LA like Cedars/UCLA etc since I am in their vicinity. My sense is that at UCSF they will practically use every option before they will list someone (like catheter ablation, structural intervention in ACHD patients, bi-v pacing etc). It is a sentiment i can understand. Faculty seem to be very involved in patient-care as I sometimes will get calls from them! But like most people who are passionate about their work, strong personalities abound. Their numbers are just not there at par with other major centers in california (UCLA, Stanford, Cedars). I suspect that their HF patients predominantly belong to two groups- granola-chewing-fruit and vegetable-eating medically compliant patient and polysubstance-abusing patients. Good luck transplanting both populations!
Cedars is more transplant-happy. If you want some one to be transplanted, send them to Cedars. They are great at transplants and desensitization, and will get it done no matter what! It is a very efficient private practice model. I am sure it makes for great training for fellows.
Cost of living at SF is a problem. Housing around UCLA/Cedars is not cheap either. Not sure how much UCSF'S housing stipend helps. The UCSF name does open doors in academia across the country and pvt practice in nor cal.
Echo lab (Schiller et al) and EP lab (Scheinmann et al ) at UCSF have traditionally been very strong.

Last edited: