does anyone know?

Started by vet4ever
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

vet4ever

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
does any one know of any vets that are hiring or would consider, a young person, who is not a vet? for the rochester minnesota area? like for on the job training as a assistant, etc. i really want to find a job at a vet clinic. and my vet does not offer that sort of thing because it is a small area.(clinic). i can be any thing as simple as cleaning, etc. just as long as i would get to work there and gets chances to view what a vet does. many thanks!
 
Most vet clinics that I am familiar with will hire a responsible person at least 16 years old as a kennel tech. Most likely, you will have to clean kennels, walk and feed dogs and cats, and sweep and mop for a while before you are considered for any other position. After working in the kennels for a while, if you impress your bosses you may be allowed to become a receptionist. If you work out well as a receptionist you may be able to train as a veterinary assistant. This is just the procedure at clinics that I am familiar with. I am sure it is slightly different at every clinic.
 
Most vet clinics that I am familiar with will hire a responsible person at least 16 years old as a kennel tech. Most likely, you will have to clean kennels, walk and feed dogs and cats, and sweep and mop for a while before you are considered for any other position. After working in the kennels for a while, if you impress your bosses you may be allowed to become a receptionist. If you work out well as a receptionist you may be able to train as a veterinary assistant. This is just the procedure at clinics that I am familiar with. I am sure it is slightly different at every clinic.


ok! so does that apply to country vets too or city vets?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have limited experience with rural or large animal practices. My experiences have been in small animal clinics in small-medium sized cities.
 
Vet4ever,

As far as a vet to work for, perhaps your own vet could give you some ideas, or even the horse trainer that you know, on places and clinics to contact, etc.

I also wanted to tell you that it is nice to see a young person so excited about pursuing their dream of becoming a vet. Now is a good time to work on your "whole person" in order to take you where you want to go. By that I mean that you should consider working on areas of improvement like spelling, grammar, etc., so that you are a really well-rounded individual and an awesome candidate for vet school down the road.
 
Vet4ever,

As far as a vet to work for, perhaps your own vet could give you some ideas, or even the horse trainer that you know, on places and clinics to contact, etc.

I also wanted to tell you that it is nice to see a young person so excited about pursuing their dream of becoming a vet. Now is a good time to work on your "whole person" in order to take you where you want to go. By that I mean that you should consider working on areas of improvement like spelling, grammar, etc., so that you are a really well-rounded individual and an awesome candidate for vet school down the road.


thanks! thas so nice of you to say! i truly apprecate the compliment!