Does anyone use Step-up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorWannaBe

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school recommends this as one of the 3 primary resources to use for USMLE step 1. I hardly ever see anyone talk about this book, and was wondering what people think of this book.

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't started studying too much for boards yet(too busy with cardio), but I have both First Aid and Step up. Most of my friends that took the Comlex and/or USMLE last year said they used both.
Which other two books does your school recommend as primary resources?

step up is allright for a change of pace but you'll soon start noticing several mistakes. shouldn't be your main source though. go thru FA or pathophysiology for boards and wards first

i'm using it but more to study for my module exams than for board prep. I'll probably get thru the entire text once and if I have time and feel it's useful I'll go thru it again prior to boards (but definitely FA>SU).

-J

Members don't see this ad :)
Is pathophys for the boards and wards really good for step 1 prep? How do you suggest using it. I bought it a few months ago but have not really looked at it. :)

highclass said:
Is pathophys for the boards and wards really good for step 1 prep? How do you suggest using it. I bought it a few months ago but have not really looked at it. :)
I used it as a quick review while studying. I hits the high points and that's about it. I wouldn't make it your sole source, but it is definitly handy for change of pace or fast "last look" before the test. I think it's nicley laid out, and if you do as well, go ahead and buy the step 2 B & W because it is great for 3rd year!
good luck,
streetdoc

futuredo32 said:
I haven't started studying too much for boards yet(too busy with cardio), but I have both First Aid and Step up. Most of my friends that took the Comlex and/or USMLE last year said they used both.
Which other two books does your school recommend as primary resources?

Thanks for all the replies. I was concerned about using Step Up because I've heard there are lots of mistakes. Someone here posted a file with a list of mistakes, but I don't know if that is a comprehensive list. The other 2 books my school recommends are First Aid and Underground Clinical Vignettes.