does anyone work during med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good to know there are so many ways to make it work. Last May I trained to teach MCAT Bio for this exact reason. I wanted a flexible, fairly easy job to do during medical school. So once I'm accepted somewhere I'm going to transfer.

The best part is that about 3/4 of the work I do now is Office Hours and proctoring.

Both of which are SUPER easy money. My new favorite is definitely proctoring the MCAT (we rent a computer lab on campus). Because its shorter it won't take up any more of my day than proctoring SAT in Fremont does, it pays $100 instead of $60 and I don't even have to keep track of time because the computer does that. I just have to sit there and be prepared to troubleshoot if anything goes wrong.

I highly recommend it - the prepping your lectures is fairly time consuming but past that its the easiest, best paying job you could ask for.

Members don't see this ad.

There is a paramedic in my class that has 4 kids. He goes to work every Saturday for a 24 hour shift and spends Sunday's with his children.

I've been a paramedic for 10 years and have a family with 3 kids. Limited to loan amounts based on the student budget, I dont think I'll have a choice but to continue to work a bit (I start in Aug). I've engaged others on this topic (in another thread) and they seem to do it without too much trouble. It sounds like the bottom line is... If things are getting tight with time management, it's the first thing that has to go.

Notzfall--can you link us to that thread?

Members don't see this ad :)
I will most likely be working during med school as a paramedic in order to support myself and my mother. Are there any other people who are the sole bread winners in their family and juggling a school schedule?

Ok so I really don't want to work while in med school, I just want to focus on school. BUT i do want to do research to help down the line with residency. Does anyone get paid for this?? I would love to do both at once.

We have stipends during the summertime. If there are funds to pay you, your PI can arrange it. Keep in mind, though, that it's possible that you'll have classmates/competitors who are willing to do it for free.

To me, publication opportunities, LOR's, and contacts are worth more than the cash. They're not going to pay much in any case.

Anyone ever considered working as a security guard somewhere? I'm not sure if you have to go through any training, but it seems like there would be a considerable amount of downtime... enough to study anyways.

I tutored about 3-4 hours a week during 2nd year med school, but I had to give it up after I started clinicals. It was a nice break -- private tutoring for high school and middle school kids pays well (i made $19 an hour, but I know others who make more than twice that), and it let me have some interpersonal interaction away from the books a couple nights a week, besides going out with friends. Teaching one-on-one is very much like patient education. I only did it once I was comfortable with the med school work and knew I wouldn't get overwhelmed. Don't get your priorities mixed up! You have to get your work done, and you have to have enough time to yourself to stay sane, but if you can squeeze it in, its not impossible.

I've also heard of people living in elderly people's homes, or the homes of kids with disabilities, in exchange for being given a stipend. In some cases the person wants you to do a lot of stuff--like washing, cooking, helping with mobility, etc. In other cases they want you to do very little--just be there at night in case of an emergency. If the latter, it's a sweet deal because you get free room and board AND in some cases a stipend without doing too much. And, I suppose it IS tangentially related to medicine, since you're generally caring for someone with an illness or for an elderly person. You just have to be careful with expectations--they may think "oh, he/she's a medical student, so he/she will be able to provide actual medical care in an emergency." If that's the misconception they have, you have to shoot it out of the water before you move in.

I'm an MS3, and I have managed to wait tables all throughout medical school. I usually just work Friday or Saturday night. This has not been a problem for me at all.

any chicks here work as a stripper?

raise your hand

any chicks here work as a stripper?

raise your hand

I've taken pole dancing classes and done it at clubs. But paid? No.

There's gotta be some med students that do it though.

I tutored about 3-4 hours a week during 2nd year med school, but I had to give it up after I started clinicals. It was a nice break -- private tutoring for high school and middle school kids pays well (i made $19 an hour, but I know others who make more than twice that), and it let me have some interpersonal interaction away from the books a couple nights a week, besides going out with friends. Teaching one-on-one is very much like patient education. I only did it once I was comfortable with the med school work and knew I wouldn't get overwhelmed. Don't get your priorities mixed up! You have to get your work done, and you have to have enough time to yourself to stay sane, but if you can squeeze it in, its not impossible.

Same here I tutor 4 to 5 hrs a week and make about $24 an hr tutoring highschool kids. I started this year and the extra cash helps me out when i want to splurge on a vaction or something like that. I also occasionaly tutor some first year med students for a lot less money and i TA my schools medical microbiology lab which pays pretty well so overall some weeks i work up to 10 hrs most weeks it is about 6 hrs.

I've taken pole dancing classes and done it at clubs. But paid? No.

There's gotta be some med students that do it though.
Did you have to pay those people who were unfortunate to have turned and saw.:confused:

I worked on an ambulance during first year. It was pretty sweet because you can put in some pretty good hours in a single weekend. Even though EMS stands for earn money sleeping I wasn't getting any sleep and the stress was kicking my butt. So, I declined to continue after that.