does AP Calculus count?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

manutdfan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I took Ap Calculus AB and BC in high school and got 5's on both of them. Do I need to retake a calculus course or take Calc 3 in college in order to apply to Med. schools or will they accept the AP credit like my college did to fulfil the reqirement?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Good job on the AP credit. The requirement differs from medical school to medical school. However, usually if they require calculus or a math course they will accept the AP credit.

For math they usually accept the AP credit but for other AP classes it might not be the same. So I would check with each individual medical school to see what their requirement is. It is usually a question asked on their website under FAQ in the admissions process.

Good luck!:)

yeah, i took bio as well but since im taking upper level bio classes that takes care of the pre-req.

so i'm still confused about the math though, if anyone has an answer i'd like to know and not have to search through all the medical school web sites!!!

thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad :)
All of my credit via AP's and SAT II's, including my credit for calc 1 and 2 from BC, was accepted at Arkansas. I don't know if that's the norm or not, though.

General rule for most med schools is if the AP credit is on the college's transcript, they will allow it to fulfill the prereq. Some schools, like Tufts, say if you get AP credit, you must complete the same number of higher level courses as required by your major. ie, if your major requires a year of calculus, and you have AP credit for that year, then you need an additional year of upper division math classes.

General rule for most med schools is if the AP credit is on the college's transcript, they will allow it to fulfill the prereq. Some schools, like Tufts, say if you get AP credit, you must complete the same number of higher level courses as required by your major. ie, if your major requires a year of calculus, and you have AP credit for that year, then you need an additional year of upper division math classes.

wow, thats harsh.

what other schools besides Tufts have this rule?