Does applying for an early assurance program hurt chances for normal application down the road?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Med16484

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Asking for my friend. Basically his college has an early assurance program he can apply to this October (Junior year of college) at his college, where if accepted, he will go straight into their medical school following graduation. He would only need a very minimal MCAT score to get in. Only 1-2 students get accepted into this program every year, so the chances are slim but he was thinking about doing it. Problem is that the school doing the full AMCAS primary application for this program. If he applies and gets rejected, could this possibly hurt him later with other schools because he would be considered a reapplicant?

Members don't see this ad.

You aren't considered a reapplicant at schools that you don't send a primary to.

Asking for my friend. Basically his college has an early assurance program he can apply to this October (Junior year of college) at his college, where if accepted, he will go straight into their medical school following graduation. He would only need a very minimal MCAT score to get in. Only 1-2 students get accepted into this program every year, so the chances are slim but he was thinking about doing it. Problem is that the school doing the full AMCAS primary application for this program. If he applies and gets rejected, could this possibly hurt him later with other schools because he would be considered a reapplicant?
No. You are not considered a reapplicant if you never applied to the other schools; you are only a reapplicant to schools you have previously applied to. In the case of an early assurance program, I'm pretty sure being rejected to it would not even make your friend a reapplicant at that school, since applying regular way is not a reapplication to an early assurance program.

Members don't see this ad :)
No. You are not considered a reapplicant if you never applied to the other schools; you are only a reapplicant to schools you have previously applied to. In the case of an early assurance program, I'm pretty sure being rejected to it would not even make your friend a reapplicant at that school, since applying regular way is not a reapplication to an early assurance program.
What about on secondaries? I noticed on FIU's secondary they asked if you have applied to medical school before

What about on secondaries? I noticed on FIU's secondary they asked if you have applied to medical school before
Most schools don't care about other schools. If FIU is asking, you can tell them about the early assurance program. Nobody is going to care about a limited program that accepts 2 students per year, and it's not going to be considered the same as having applied to 20 schools in a prior cycle as a regular applicant. This is just not a reason to not take a shot at the program.