Medical Does being a legacy affect admissions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I just received an interview invitation from a medical school at which I would technically be considered a legacy applicant, as one of my parents had graduated from this medical school. I just wanted to see if there were any opinions/thoughts on how being a legacy applicant affects admissions? As in, are legacy applicants considered differently in the admissions process, and, if so, how differently?

For reference, I am a a Texas resident and the medical school is a state school in a different state (Indiana), so I would be an out of state student.
In general, legacy status leads to a polite interview, which in turn leads to a polite position on the wait list, which in turn leads to a very polite rejection at the end of the cycle.

IF you're a superstar, then the legacy status probably has no influence on your II. Rather, you earned it!

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for the input! That was about the extent of what I expected from the legacy status. In truth, I was somewhat surprised I even received the interview invitation at all, but I will certainly give it my all.👍
I feel like it may help if you and another applicant are tied and literally the only difference is that, haha.

Legacy admissions is very school dependent, but there is that above, but there is also a club for certain schools that prefer their alumni. If the legacy parent is rural or in an underserved community and the legacy is intending on the same pathway, it is actually almost a certainty for admission if the stats are reasonable.

Reactions: 1 user
Legacy admissions is very school dependent, but there is that above, but there is also a club for certain schools that prefer their alumni. If the legacy parent is rural or in an underserved community and the legacy is intending on the same pathway, it is actually almost a certainty for admission if the stats are reasonable.

Agree. From the few people I know that had legacy, they all had scores that would have gotten them in regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.