Does "being in the know" help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

Beoz

Well, I know some very influential people who deal in/around the medical school of my choice. They talk to admissions people on a regular basis, I am wondering if "being in the know" helps out with admissions.

Members don't see this ad.

absofreakinlutly

i would directly tell them you are applying for medical school and would appreciate help.

that person can be a sort of character witness for you and can vouch that you are a honest hardworking person, or whatever your qualities are. When the admissions commitee has a recommendation from someone they know and trust its very valuable.

:D Very nice. I think they could also tell the admissions people "hey, he is genuinely interested in this college well before is MCAT/Application etc . . ."

Members don't see this ad :)
OF COURSE! You're losing valuable brownie points as we speak!

Put in a good word for me too while you're at it. :wink: j/k (kinda)

I?m in a similar situation. One of our alums offered to set up a meeting for me with the recently retired dean of a top 5 med school. That is my top choice school, but I?ve been a little hesitant about this. Do you think this is appropriate? Will the school think less of me for trying to establish a connection with them? And will it even make a difference in terms of my chance at that school?

These things may or may not make a difference. It cant hurt though and even if they arent able to say the magic words to get you in they will undoubtedly have insight into how to make yourself appear stronger at their school.

I dont think though that it is ever appropriate to ask someone to "get you into medical school," your own merits should carry you there (not that either of you are).

Agreeing with most of the other posters: knowing people who have influence with the adcoms helps. It doesn't hurt to take advantage of meetings with deans, or other higher ups. You aren't going to say "I will do anything to get into your school", but it is perfectly fine to say "this is my background/my experiences/my grades/my scores/etc.--what do you think my chances are for getting into your school and what do you think I could do to improve my application?" You aren't directly asking them for assistance in voting for you to the adcom, but you open the door for dialogue. If the dean or whoever likes you, then they will certainly put in a good word for you to the adcom.

A good word to the adcom doesn't guarantee that you'll get in, but it certainly can't hurt.

I know a few influential people at my state medical school (one was on the adcom), and I know almost for a fact that they made sure I got in and received a hefty scholarship offer. I might've taken it if I didn't get into Mayo (or a couple of other top schools). They were a little disappointed that I didn't decide to go there, but can understand my situation.

Talk to your contacts. Start dialogues. Tell them about your interest in their school and about your great ECs. It can't hurt any.

Good luck! :wink: