Does Case Really Screen???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Angel_Eyes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard two sides to this....

a)yes they do screen, and if you get one...send it back

b) and no, don't bother to send it back

Does anyone know for SURE if Case screens before sending out secondaries??
I need this info ASAP, I've been sitting on their secondary because I didn't think I was competitive enough and didn't want to waste my money.

So any info would be greatly appreciated!!
THANKS!!

Members don't see this ad.

According to the TPR med school book Case sends out secondaries to about half of those who applied. So yeah they screen.

Originally posted by Angel_Eyes
I've heard two sides to this....

a)yes they do screen, and if you get one...send it back

b) and no, don't bother to send it back

Does anyone know for SURE if Case screens before sending out secondaries??
I need this info ASAP, I've been sitting on their secondary because I didn't think I was competitive enough and didn't want to waste my money.

So any info would be greatly appreciated!!
THANKS!!

I personally know of people who didn't get secondaries. Yes, they screen.

mike

Members don't see this ad :)
Hm, I thought that they had screened in the past but were not screening this year. Have you checked the MSAR? Mike, are the people you're talking about people applying this year or folks who applied the same year as you did?

You should also try a search--I think this issue was discussed at length in another thread here a couple months back. Hope this helps.

I cast my vote for them not screening. I received a secondary over a month ago, even before getting my MCAT scores. I'm not even sure if my AMCAS had been verified yet. However I am an Ohio resident so I don't know if that makes a difference.

They screened last year and every year before that from what I know.

Thanks for all the info!!
I was just curious because they sent me a secondary and my MCAT scores were really low. They are good school so I didn't know what to think. Should I be happy and hope they saw something besides my mcat scores in my app? or do they just want my $75?

Anyhow...I sent back my 2ndary stuff (with a killer essay I might add) and my $75 dollars. Partly because this was my last 2ndary to send back and I will always wonder "what if" if I didn't do it. But now it's over and all I can do is WAIT...:mad:

Thanks ya'll. Good luck to you!

Originally posted by Angel_Eyes
Thanks for all the info!!
I was just curious because they sent me a secondary and my MCAT scores were really low. They are good school so I didn't know what to think. Should I be happy and hope they saw something besides my mcat scores in my app? or do they just want my $75?

Anyhow...I sent back my 2ndary stuff (with a killer essay I might add) and my $75 dollars. Partly because this was my last 2ndary to send back and I will always wonder "what if" if I didn't do it. But now it's over and all I can do is WAIT...:mad:

Thanks ya'll. Good luck to you!

How low is a low MCAT score? The reason I'm asking is that I see a lot of people waving a 35 or > MCAT score but that is definitely above-average. I don't know if the MCAT has changed, but when I took it, what I got ... low 30s, was a pretty damn good score. Shooting for "double-digits," was supposed to mean you passed the mark for the most competitive schools.

That being said, the quoted "scores" for schools you see in publications are AVERAGES, not cut offs. Since you know there are geeks with the 15/15/15 applying to almost every school, there are MATRICULANTS of that school with well below the average.

Lastly, MCAT scores are just one piece. I'd take a person with a 28-29 that was able to hold a conversation over someone with a 39 who was a complete douchebag anyday.

Good move on the app to CWRU, they've made some positive changes since I was in your shoes.

PS: they raised the price of the secondary fee, too!

mike

How low is a low MCAT score? The reason I'm asking is that I see a lot of people waving a 35 or > MCAT score but that is definitely above-average. I don't know if the MCAT has changed, but when I took it, what I got ... low 30s, was a pretty damn good score. Shooting for "double-digits," was supposed to mean you passed the mark for the most competitive schools.

:laugh: :laugh: Well, I did get into the double digits!
Okay...I am confident enough in my abilities to say what I did on the MCAT (regardless of the fact that I posted my sob story a few weeks ago)

I GOT A 17 !!!!! :eek:

I am a terrible test taker and didn't really prepare very well for it.
But you know what...I absolutely agree with you on the people with 30 + MCATs being mad about their score. It's crazy.

The rest of my application is almost perfect. Good GPA, athlete, good EC, lots of volunteer work both clinical and otherwise, and excellent LOR's. I just hope it is good enough to get past my MCAT score.... which it probably isn't. But there is always next year.

:( Thanks for posting!!! ;)

Did Case send you the secondary after they received your mcat score or before? If they sent it after, they might still be interested. u never know... but you must study real hard for your next mcat if you have to take it again! Learn test taking strategies or whatever but you gotta bring up that score! You can do it!

Did Case send you the secondary after they received your mcat score or before? If they sent it after, they might still be interested.

They sent it to me about 2 1/2 weeks after the scores were posted and sent to schools....so I guess this is a good sign. Mabey they just have a sick sense of humor! :laugh:

I dont think they screen because I received a secondary last year which I never sent back.

Originally posted by Optimistic
I dont think they screen because I received a secondary last year which I never sent back.

No offense, but that makes no sense at all. The fact that you didn't send back their secondary has nothing to do with the reason they sent it to you.

According to page 105 of the Princeton Review's 2002 Edition of Complete Book of Medical Schools, "Once your application is received, the admissions committee will screen it and will send you either a secondary application or a rejection. Those submitting secondaries will be considered for an interview..."

they DO screen...(i got secondary while my friend didn't)

although they rejected me after my secondary....my first rejection of this year...

damn Case....

Okay.....

So we are pretty much even on whether they screen or not. Does anyone know for SURE???
:confused:

I don't know about the rest of you, but I think CoronaBOY summed it up well.

Originally posted by CoronaBOY
they DO screen...(i got secondary while my friend didn't)

If you got a secondary, be happy,
If you didnt, dont feel screened out :p

I wonder myself, cause I got one, and if they r screening then either its a miracle or they just want my $$$$ :laugh: