Does competition help....?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dat_student

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's assume:

student A goes to UCLA (UCLA's stats: AA=22, avg GPA = 3.6) and is ranked #15-20 in his class

student B goes to School X (This school's stats: AA=19, avg GPA = 3.4) and is ranked #1 in his class?

student A and student B have the same board scores.

Which student has a better chance to specialize?!

Members don't see this ad.

to specialize, what matters mainly is class rank and board scores. Therefore, Student B has a better chance to specialize. There are exceptions were undergrad GPA is taken into consideration such as OMFS, but the 2 hypothetical applicants' GPAs are competitive IMO.

Unemployed said:
to specialize, what matters mainly is class rank and board scores. Therefore, Student B has a better chance to specialize. There are exceptions were undergrad GPA is taken into consideration such as OMFS, but the 2 hypothetical applicants' GPAs are competitive IMO.

Thanks so much for the reply

Members don't see this ad :)
Remember that predent GPA's and DAT's don't necessarily reflect DDS performance. As unemployment said, student B in your example would in all probability be much more likely to get into a residency all other things being equal (and especially more likely to have interviews extended to him/her...which is really the more germane point that should be made).

Man, that's a very tough probability question. Only if i can remember the formula... i could solve it in no time. :laugh:

jpollei said:
Remember that predent GPA's and DAT's don't necessarily reflect DDS performance. As unemployment said, student B in your example would in all probability be much more likely to get into a residency all other things being equal (and especially more likely to have interviews extended to him/her...which is really the more germane point that should be made).

Thanks so much. Wish you the best of luck. I am sure a 4.0 student like you will get into a very good specialty program on Nov 30th.

dat_student said:
Thanks so much. Wish you the best of luck. I am sure a 4.0 student like you will get into a very good specialty program on Nov 30th.

hypotheticals you gotta love it:)

now here is even a better question.. which would you consider more.. 1 out of 20 or 5 out of 100??? same % to me....

i have been wondering the same thing. So from what i understand it would be better to go to a school where most students are not trying to specialize and therefore dont care too greatly about the grades they get or their rank in class. This woudl give you an advantage because your own ranking would probably be higher if you put in the same effort. Then again, schools that are very competitive are also known for a large percentage of students going into specialty. Are there any more opinions from people who are currently applying to specialty programs?