1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Does competition help....?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by dat_student, Nov 29, 2005.

1. dat_student

dat_student Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Let's assume:

student A goes to UCLA (UCLA's stats: AA=22, avg GPA = 3.6) and is ranked #15-20 in his class

student B goes to School X (This school's stats: AA=19, avg GPA = 3.4) and is ranked #1 in his class?

student A and student B have the same board scores.

Which student has a better chance to specialize?!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Unemployed

Unemployed Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

to specialize, what matters mainly is class rank and board scores. Therefore, Student B has a better chance to specialize. There are exceptions were undergrad GPA is taken into consideration such as OMFS, but the 2 hypothetical applicants' GPAs are competitive IMO.

4. dat_student

5+ Year Member

Thanks so much for the reply

5. jpollei

jpollei Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Remember that predent GPA's and DAT's don't necessarily reflect DDS performance. As unemployment said, student B in your example would in all probability be much more likely to get into a residency all other things being equal (and especially more likely to have interviews extended to him/her...which is really the more germane point that should be made).

6. drengineer

drengineer Back to surfing!
    7+ Year Member

Man, that's a very tough probability question. Only if i can remember the formula... i could solve it in no time. :laugh:

7. dat_student

5+ Year Member

Thanks so much. Wish you the best of luck. I am sure a 4.0 student like you will get into a very good specialty program on Nov 30th.

8. rocknightmare

rocknightmare Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student

hypotheticals you gotta love it:)

now here is even a better question.. which would you consider more.. 1 out of 20 or 5 out of 100??? same % to me....

9. jeanniebluebird

7+ Year Member

i have been wondering the same thing. So from what i understand it would be better to go to a school where most students are not trying to specialize and therefore dont care too greatly about the grades they get or their rank in class. This woudl give you an advantage because your own ranking would probably be higher if you put in the same effort. Then again, schools that are very competitive are also known for a large percentage of students going into specialty. Are there any more opinions from people who are currently applying to specialty programs?