Does curriculum really make a difference from school to school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

musician8591

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm talking to my friend in 4th year at JHU and I told him how much I really liked one school's curriculum. But then he said that curricula were pretty much the same everywhere and that it shouldn't be a major factor of consideration. Any feedback/thoughts on this?

Members don't see this ad.

I could not disagree more. If you like watching lectures and learn well that way you’re more likely to be miserable in a flipped classroom type curriculum. I would hate being in a flipped classroom and would definitely strongly consider that when making a decision. If you’re lucky enough to be able to choose between schools, try to go to one that is pass/fail and has a curriculum that fits you’re learning style.

Reactions: 1 users
I think I'd be miserable in PBL. I enjoy the freedom of being able to watch lectures and learn at my own pace. But I say that because over the past 18 months I've figured out what makes me most comfortable in the environment I'm in. But ultimately? I think I'd have adapted to anything with time.

Most people don't have the luxury to choose between schools, and other factors such as family/friends being nearby is going to impact your performance too.

If you're interviewing at a school you better find something to say about why you'd be good there and thrive in that curriculum ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think I'd be miserable in PBL. I enjoy the freedom of being able to watch lectures and learn at my own pace. But I say that because over the past 18 months I've figured out what makes me most comfortable in the environment I'm in. But ultimately? I think I'd have adapted to anything with time.

Most people don't have the luxury to choose between schools, and other factors such as family/friends being nearby is going to impact your performance too.

If you're interviewing at a school you better find something to say about why you'd be good there and thrive in that curriculum ;)
I agree that eventually we could adapt. if you have the luxury of being able to choose a school thats a better fit, you should do so. if I needed to be close to family and that school had PBL, I would still go but I would not be happy lol

Reactions: 1 user
So I clarified with him what he meant. Basically, he's saying the material is essentially the same and that schools don't necessarily do well that which that proclaim in changing up/improving curricula, so that in the end, it doesn't make much of a difference. For example, I loved Northwestern's curriculum. I like the way they do pre-clinical training with standardized patients and student-run clinics. To me, different features of the curricula are distinguishing factors even though it can sometimes blend together. Northwestern and Foster School of Medicine (El Paso) both stood out as having really distinctive curricular choices that would impact my learning as a student beyond the self-preparation for Step 1. In other ways, most schools are pretty similar with pass/fail, no rank, etc.

It’s one thing to consider but it is far less important than cost, location, and specialty departments. It’s probably about as important as what good food is in the area. I don’t think I would have gotten through medical school without this little old Thai lady who would always give me extra soup.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I'm talking to my friend in 4th year at JHU and I told him how much I really liked one school's curriculum. But then he said that curricula were pretty much the same everywhere and that it shouldn't be a major factor of consideration. Any feedback/thoughts on this?
No, they're NOT the same. U VM has NO lectures. CUSOM and LECOM have required lectures...as do a few MD schools, but I haven't learned yet who they are (or did learn, and then forget. Getting old ain't for sissies.)

Then you have some schools do the traditional Flexner curriculum of normal for M1, pathological for M2. Others, like mine, have a systems based approach. Then others have a PBL, and others are switching to a TBL format (this is the latest fad in medical education).

Overall, what you learn in preclinical is pretty much the same, but how it's delivered varies a lot, and people do have different learning styles.

In addition to PBL vs lecture, preclinical curriculum length (2 years vs. 1.5 vs 1) also strikes me as probably important.