Does CVS hire if not immunization-certified?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharm0307

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious, does CVS ever hire pharmacists who are not immunization-certified?

Members don't see this ad.

Just curious, does CVS ever hire pharmacists who are not immunization-certified?

Yes, CVS does hire pharmacists who are not certified. I graduated in 2012 and CVS gave me an offer. Immunization certification is not necessarily something expected. I believe it is the employer's job to get you certified and not something you have to do on your own.

I think the school curriculum or APHA can help you the requirements you need right? That's what I learned in my immunization course...

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are a practicing pharmacist they are not likely to hire you unless you are immunization certified. In this competitive market don't expect any corporation to find it their responsibility to certify you.

They hired me two years ago without it and trained me on their dime about a month after I started. They hired my wife last year and gave her enough time to get trained. (She elected to pay $99 to get trained by people from Wilkes-Barre in King of Prussia rather than going all the way up to Brooklyn to get trained for free by CVS, but they did offer that to her.)

Even if you can't get them to train you, just sign up for the classes they will surely have available come June for all the new grads. At this point, we are past the prime immunization season, anyway. Being certified isn't going to be a huge issue until next September. As long as you can reasonably be expected to be good to go for next flu season, you'll be fine.

You can get hired if you are not immunization-certified. But you will get into a big doodoo if you refuse to get certified after you start your job.

I am certified....never given one in real life though since I didn't work during school...kinda scared of it.

I guess if I work over night I don't have to do this? :confused:

Yes, CVS does hire pharmacists who are not certified. I graduated in 2012 and CVS gave me an offer. Immunization certification is not necessarily something expected. I believe it is the employer's job to get you certified and not something you have to do on your own.

Did they ask you at the time of hire if you are willing to be certified? If you've gotten certified since then, did they pay for the training?

I'm willing to be certified, but having a hard time finding training programs in my region at this time of the year, so I was curious about how big an issue this is.

What are our options to get certified on our own? I'm currently interviewing and don't have certification and they haven't offered to train me in Immunizations and I get the feeling are pushing me to try and get certified on my own dime. I'll do it but I'm having a hard time finding someone who offers the training. I live in the Bay Area. Does CVS and Walgreens provide certifications internaly?

How to get immunization certified please help me?

Otherwise, you need to find the closest APHA immunization course and take it.