does fafsa give grants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kankidan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been looking around at Schools to see what their Tuition is. When looking at the loans you can get, they tend to only give (for example) 10,000 USD when the tuition bill is roughly 19,000 USD. This has been the case with:
Chicago school of psychology
Pacific university
Pepperdine

How are you suppose to make up the difference? Does Fafsa give grants? I am unsure if Fafsa actually helps you at the graduate level. I will be independent when I start applying for schools, will they help me? I don't understand the fact that I can't borrow how much it costs....seems hopeless.
Any help would be great, thanks!

-Brett

Members don't see this ad.

FAFSA generally does not help much grant wise at the graduate level (as a grad student you're not eligible for a Pell grant)...so basically just student loans....

And to answer your other question, generally if you can't make up the difference with cash or possibly some sort of work-study, then that's when private loans are taken out to supplement the federal loans.

Now, another option is to do an internet search for available scholarships or grants for which you might qualify (that usually aren't directly affiliated with your school). There are entire websites devoted to this. I believe there are a lot more available for undergrad than grad, but they do exists. Takes a lot of work on the student's part- but it's worth it if it pays off for you.

Not a bad idea to ask the FA office at your preferred school(s) how their students afford their educations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats pretty depressing. So my only options are private loans and fed loans. Not really impressed by the Grad. level education. So it must happen a lot that people get offers and they turn them all down simply because schools think its appropriate for tuition to be more than what is available via fed loans? Maybe Im not even going to get involved in this collossal joke.

Thats pretty depressing. So my only options are private loans and fed loans. Not really impressed by the Grad. level education. So it must happen a lot that people get offers and they turn them all down simply because schools think its appropriate for tuition to be more than what is available via fed loans? Maybe Im not even going to get involved in this collossal joke.

Well, I wouldn't blame grad school on the whole. Many doctoral programs are fully funded via assistanceship and tuition waivers and they pay you between 10k and 25k to attend/study/work.

Even at the undergrad level, there are many schools where the tuition exceeds the max amount of Fed assistance available.

I hope you have the option of applying to schools that fit more closely with your budgeting limitations. good luck... maybe something will work out.