Does Fee Assistance Program = URM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kouger86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^?

I've been granted FAP, does this benefit me in any other way besides discounted MCAT and 14 free Primaries?

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty sure that's it. You could choose to mark disadvantaged status on AMCAS if you feel that applies to you. URM is a separate entity.

I think loveoforganic is right, but I still think it's pretty unfair. Growing up, my life was no easy. My dad left the country with a legacy of $300,000 debt, and mom made under $30,000 a year supporting four of us. She got a settlement from her parents' estate that went straight to the IRS my senior year of high school. She and I had saved up exactly $8400 that paid for most of my first semester. Since we were considered "upper class" that year, I had to drop out.

After that, we were hit by another financial crisis when my brother was hospitalized for nearly a year. We had no health insurance. Our combined salaries barely kept us afloat. Once my brother was home, I found a more lucrative job and moved on my own to the city. I've been supporting myself on livable but crappy wages, and finally threw caution to the wind and started school full-time to pursue medicine. The only financial support I have received was from my aunt, who kindly pays my cell phone bill. Other than that, I have supported myself while being in school full-time.

I think URM status has a purpose, but it's not fair that non-URM economically disadvantaged people are not granted a similar status. I'm not crying for support, but it does seem unfair that those of us who were caught in precarious situations due to the mistakes of our parents are not at the very least granted a second look, when URM kids whose parents did a fantastic job at providing for them and giving them guidance are considered special cases.

Oops. My statements will probably open a can of worms. I stand by this, though. Disadvantaged is disadvantaged.

Members don't see this ad :)
Growing up, my life was no[t] easy.

If you think that you were economically disadvantaged from age 0-18 or for some portion of that time, you can self-identify on the AMCAS as disadvantaged without regard for your race. It isn't the same as URM but it does get taken into account.

Likewise, if you dropped out of school and are non-trad, you should note your employment, even non-med related, and the hours per week, etc in the experience section and that will be taken into account too.

To the OP, getting FAP doesn't equal disadvantaged. FAP status is a reflection of the previous year's income, while disadvantage status on AMCAS is a reflection of your childhood environment. URM is a reflection of race/ethnicity and is separate, but some may also mark disadvantaged.

To answer your question, many schools also waive the secondary application fee when you have been granted the FAP.

Last edited:
URM =/= disadvantaged =/= eligibility for FAP =/=URM

Each is separate.

Some people who grew up disadvantaged self-identify as such on the AMCAS even if they became self-suffient (even affluent) in adulthood.

Some applicants, through a series of unfortunate events, are elgibile for FAP although they grew up without any financial hardships.

Some URM are disadvantaged, some URM are eligible for FAP, some URM are neither.

This is like some crazy Logic assignment.