Does having a history of psychological trauma give you an advantage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A man can stand at a cliff overlooking the ocean and yell at the ocean to stop, but even if the ocean could hear, it is not going to stop just because one person believes it to be a lake.

That is this thread.

Members don't see this ad.

The erg sits.;)

I have little desire to think deeply about what intentions you may or may not have had (or what picture you were trying to paint) with your orginal posts...or your subsequent posts. I, like most other posters here, will give people advice based on what they post and just assume (reasonably so), that they asked simply because they want to know. Thats all. You asked a question. It was answered. You did not like the response. I suggest you leave it be.

As indicated, thread doesn't seem to being going anywhere...so I'll pm you.

As for the others, it was a nice ride...I had fun. I appreciate those who took the time to tell me what I wanted to know...

Is it possible to lock this thread? I know I'm a new member and it's not my place to ask this but hear me out. The person's question has been answered many times by different people and in different manners, harshly and kindly, long and short, with humor and seriously....all that. This thread has over 100 replies, it's pushing down other more useful threads, becoming a whole thing between this guy and Erg, and most importantly, it's an exercise in frustration.

The OP's posts are somewhat vague, bit rambling and unfocused; however, they're also mysterious, and excite our curiosity. What is this horrible trauma that he suffered!? There is that sense of hurt, persecution; make us want to help him, pull him out of his shell, guide him. In addition, he touches on various important and complex issues, but he does not present a cogent argument, does not develop any of those viewpoints and ideas, and it constantly makes me feel that many of the posters answering, are really doing much more work than he is. He is a philosophy grad so I'm sure he is capable of writing a long and well-reasoned essay, one that argues every single point he is been "sort of" making in a clear manner, explains it, uses examples, and draws conclusions. But as it stands, there is no need to keep this thread going unless it's for the mind games, and of trying to figure out OP's trauma, and the labored process of trying to pull more concrete info out of him

Members don't see this ad :)
I've actually gone back & forth on whether or not to waste my time on this thread with everyone else, but ah, well. I'm ignoring the almighty dissertation as usual . . .

The mental health field, though, because it personally failed me and is conceptually intriguing. I slipped through the cracks when it should have been there to step in. It indicates to me that the capacity and need for change is there, more so than other fields, at least.

I can't be sure because what you've said is pretty vague, but that doesn't sound like the "clinical research" side of the field, that sounds like public policy. Perhaps that's a direction that would be better suited to your passions and interests; how do we identify people who need mental health services and provide them appropriate treatment? Because in general, we have a lot of very good treatments out there for a number of mental health conditions, including trauma. The problem is that a lot of clinicians, for whatever reason, aren't using those treatments, or aren't using them appropriately. On top of that, a lot of people who need treatment don't get it, either because of lack of resources, social stigma against using mental health services, lack of desire to change, or any host of other reasons. I think these are great things to be looking into, and in many cases, would probably be more productive (in terms of actual change to the world) than clinical research. So I'd consider talking to advocacy groups and seeing what sorts of career paths would be helpful towards working in that direction.

I, for the most part, agree with Phil's point here. Without knowing the specifics of your situation (and I'm not asking for them), this sounds like public policy *might* be better suited for your interests. I've had my own share of "failings" with the mental health system, and some of those were failings on the part of the professionals being extremely poor professionals and some of those were failings on the part of the overall system being sh*tastic in and of itself. If your experiences were more akin to the latter and the "system sucked" with your "slip through the cracks" to which you made reference, then I would not say clinical psych is necessarily the most suitable match for you to work it out. Most clinical psychologists are not the ones making mental health policy. They're not going to mend those cracks to make sure that those like you aren't going to slip through the cracks in the future. If your issue is that you had a sh*tty professional who did you wrong, . . . well, then, there are unfortunately bad eggs in every area. It sucks, but it is true.

Otherwise, (likely wasting my breath here), I completely agree with everyone here that a trauma history is not going to give you a leg up on your competition if you do not have the stats (e.g., GRE, GPA, research, etc.) and if you are unable to control whatever your issues/symptoms may be. I, personally, would not even bother disclosing this information (and I did not during my own application process). After seeing how some individuals react to students with medical issues that they are required to work through on an ongoing basis, I'd hate to see how they react to someone with a psychological trauma (regardless of whether it's been resolved). Perhaps I'm in a backwards program. :rolleyes:

Additionally, your interests seem to be all over the place (referring to your other thoughts re: law school here). Although I can empathize with this, as I have my own issues with jumping from interest to interest. You need to tie this down before you apply anywhere, so you make sure that your personal statement is clear in revealing why you're applying to clinical psych programs--why you're a good fit for clinical psych programs... rather than public health programs or law programs or philosophy programs or any other program out there that you may have a flitting interest in as it crosses your path.

G'luck! :luck:

This is grad students finding something to do so that he/she could procrastinate at its best! Obviously, OP already has an answer to his question in mind and is waiting for someone with credentials to back him up!

Why don't we just encourage him and see what happens? :thumbup:

To be fair, I don't think anyone here has said that people with psych disorders can't become psychologists (cf., Marsha Linehan), just that it's a poor decision to disclose such information, especially in an application, and that any serious psych disorders should be well under control prior to grad school, as it is a very stressful experience.

This is a very good point. The gist of this is that it's not helpful for admission to graduate school.

I know a lot of people with Masters in social work or counseling who have trauma history and now work with trauma issues and clients who have them. Maybe that would be better?

Hi - just wondering if you can explain why you've suggested this, if - leaving the rigours of doctoral training to one side - the chief concern is protecting Mufa & his/her prospective clients from issues around vicarious trauma and counter-transference. They'd come up in talk therapy practiced by any licensed mental health professional, regardless of training or orientation.

Mufa: +1 for public policy/applied research, after using the next couple of years to take option B off the list :) Volunteering with organizations (with a slightly different focus) might offer a change of perspective, some distraction, and the chance to build skills that will strengthen your application to whatever programme you eventually choose to pursue. You've got more time than you think.

Edited to add: And, as you're suggesting, it's possible to make an impact for the better in all kinds of ways. Explore paths that will make the best use of your natural talents. (And, pay your rent.) (I hope this doesn't come across as patronizing, but - and I'm really not kidding - look outside of your experience to see how this can happen. You've been in school until now; it's a big world. I know of small, local charities doing wonderful work, and small businesses that have made huge contributions to the well-being of their communities. Do and see lots of stuff.)

Last edited:
The philosophy of science path has been an option for a while...I'm just hesitant to pursue it because philosophy nearly drove me crazy for a couple years.

Same with paramour, meh, I'll post anyway.

I can definitely sympathize here. My fiancee always tells me I get a bit 'crazy' when thinking about (anthro) theory in-depth ... and understandably so. But theory is theory; I find it kinda sexy and now try to leave it at that. The problem is when you try to analyze your own situation according to theory. You'll frustrate the heck out of yourself and those around you. Try not to take it too seriously (I know that's easy to say).

With that said (hehe...) :
" ... the proliferation of the 'psy' disciplines has been intrinsically linked with transformations in governmentality, in the rationalities and technologies of political power in 'advanced and liberal democracies'." - Nikolas Rose

I think this thread (and the admissions process) kinda shows how those power dynamics play out, and shows how the field can perhaps be seen as maintaining its relevance/'power' through aligning itself with the scientific/positivist outlook (I know, repeating myself). So, that's that.

Last edited:
We need as many stable, mentally healthy practitioners as possible in the fields of counseling/therapy/social work.

(I don't want my surgeon who is dying of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis to treat me any more than I want my therapist to be in the throes of schizophrenia. It's the same concept.)

Hi - just wondering if you can explain why you've suggested this, if - leaving the rigours of doctoral training to one side - the chief concern is protecting Mufa & his/her prospective clients from issues around vicarious trauma and counter-transference. They'd come up in talk therapy practiced by any licensed mental health professional, regardless of training or orientation.=

I dunno, I was trying to be nice and provide options.

We need as many stable, mentally healthy practitioners as possible in the fields of counseling/therapy/social work.

(I don't want my surgeon who is dying of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis to treat me any more than I want my therapist to be in the throes of schizophrenia. It's the same concept.)
Having had mental health issues doesn't preclude you from being a stable, mentally healthy practitioner, just like having had surgery doesn't make you a bad surgeon. I understand where you're coming from, but the mere fact of having experienced trauma (or any other disorder not caused by trauma) doesn't mean that you're not going to be able to enter the field.

Having had mental health issues doesn't preclude you from being a stable, mentally healthy practitioner, just like having had surgery doesn't make you a bad surgeon. I understand where you're coming from, but the mere fact of having experienced trauma (or any other disorder not caused by trauma) doesn't mean that you're not going to be able to enter the field.

I didn't say that or mean to imply it. Sorry.

I didn't say that or mean to imply it. Sorry.

Then I misread your intent! I thought that was a general response to the idea of the OP having experienced trauma and wanting to perform therapy themselves. Sorry about that!