Does Introduction to BioChem count the same as General BioChem???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jar046

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does the class "Introduction to BioChemistry" fulfill the same requirement for the Biochem section on the aacoms application as the the real "General BioChemistry" class? You know the section on the application were the BCP Science gpa's are broken up into individual gpa's. The reason why I am asking is b/c a nearby school offers the introduction to biochem course during the summer which does not require organic, but offers general biochem during the school year which does have a prereq of organic chemistry. Can I just take this "introduction to BioChem." class and then it automatically count towards the biochem section of aacoms?

Members don't see this ad.

I would talk to an advisor, but generally schools are looking for the Biochem that has the organic chem pre-req.

My undergrad had the intro course as well as the general course. MSUCOM requires general biochem before matriculation. The intro course probably won't be good enough for most schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
It will count for your sci GPA (obviously), but I believe it has to be an upper division (ie: orgo required) biochem for certain schools. Agreed that you should check with your advisor and/or the schools that list it as a requirement.

Does the class "Introduction to BioChemistry" fulfill the same requirement for the Biochem section on the aacoms application as the the real "General BioChemistry" class? You know the section on the application were the BCP Science gpa's are broken up into individual gpa's. The reason why I am asking is b/c a nearby school offers the introduction to biochem course during the summer which does not require organic, but offers general biochem during the school year which does have a prereq of organic chemistry. Can I just take this "introduction to BioChem." class and then it automatically count towards the biochem section of aacoms?

Ask the schools that require Biochem (there are only 3, UNECOM, KCUMB and DMU, but others strongly recommend it). Look here: http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/2006statrpt/Pages/default.aspx#toc and here: http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Pages/default.aspx

Your advisor's help is useless . . . talk directly to the schools.

Good Luck :luck:

If you want to go to medschool, take the general biochem. It will only help you in your other required courses.

There is no possible way that a biochem class that does not require o-chem would be counted. It sounds pretty useless. All the cofactor stuff, methyl transfers, peptides, and so-on, will require some knowledge of o-chem principles.