Does it look "bad" per se to shadow a DO right before applications open up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

somedudehere

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this something that would be viewed negatively as in not having a prolonged commitment to DO since it's kind of a last minute thing?

I always planned on applying DO but never got around to finding one to shadow. I've also been busy with my SMP/volunteer gig that took up most of my time. I'm going to be free beginning in May when classes end and I have something lined up around then.

Thanks.

Edit: I already have MD/PA shadowing but this would be my first DO and the doctor who I'm getting a letter from.

Members don't see this ad.

Is this something that would be viewed negatively as in not having a prolonged commitment to DO since it's kind of a last minute thing?

I always planned on applying DO but never got around to finding one to shadow. I've also been busy with my SMP/volunteer gig that took up most of my time. I'm going to be free beginning in May when classes end and I have something lined up around then.

Thanks.

Edit: I already have MD/PA shadowing but this would be my first DO and the doctor who I'm getting a letter from.
No. Just make sure you get a good experience out of it. Dont just say "hollistic care" "whole person" etc

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hit it and quit it, but then stick with it. I shadowed only MDs until my secondaries then updated my application with some DO shadowing hours laters.

Last edited:
No. Just make sure you get a good experience out of it. Dont just say "hollistic care" "whole person" etc

I gave a personal reason why I wanted to go to the DO school I'm matriculating at, and they were so happy they literally told me "We're glad you didn't say anything about holistic care" haha

I gave a personal reason why I wanted to go to the DO school I'm matriculating at, and they were so happy they literally told me "We're glad you didn't say anything about holistic care" haha
yep I had a similar experience at mine and they loved how I tied my life story and the loss of my family member to osteopathic principles. Nearly cried, hope it didnt make me look like a looser.

I did all my shadowing last year around this time and now I am just waiting for my white coat ceremony

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
The purpose of shadowing DOs is for you to experience their approach to patient care (if it happens to differ from MDs you've shadowed) and possibly see some OMM (if the DO you shadow uses it). So obviously it's a good idea to shadow DOs before applying to DO school, but it won't be looked upon unfavorably by ADCOMs.

Reactions: 1 user
The purpose of shadowing DOs is for you to experience their approach to patient care (if it happens to differ from MDs you've shadowed) and possibly see some OMM (if the DO you shadow uses it). So obviously it's a good idea to shadow DOs before applying to DO school, but it won't be looked upon unfavorably by ADCOMs.

Perfect answer IMO!