Does it matter? DPT VS MPT and Rankings of PT Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nokabob4u

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently have been accepted to USC DPT program which is ranked #1 in the nation. On the other side of the spectrum, I have been accepted to CSUN's MPT program which is unranked. The difference between these schools is about $90,000 and a different degree (masters or doctorate). I need advice if going to USc is worth that much extra money. Does having a DPT instead of an MPT matter that much? And whats the deal with ranking with physical therapy schools (U.s. News World and Report). I have a week to make a decision. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

If I was in your situation I would go to Northridge and do a transitional DPT later. The school you go to really doesn't matter as long as you pass the NPTE in the end.

go to the cheapest school you can that will allow you to pass the NPTE. a DPT will not get you paid more in this market so the MPT is fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
the only down side though will be time. Csun's program is about three years long I believe. So if that's the case you have to go back and get your dpt and that will take another year. Something to consider. I'd go with csun still though. 130,000 is a whole lot of money.

There is NO WAY that there is a $90000 difference between the two programs.

1. Do many practicing DPTs, current DPT or tDPT students out there agree the MPT/ MSPT is a better way to go?
  2. What about those who went to a competitive or highly ranked school--any regrets compared to attending one because of a low pricetag?

I was in the same boat as you a year ago. I got in a few ranked DPT programs and ultimately went with CSUN for the price.

From what I've heard USC PT students have much larger class sizes for lecture than CSUN does. CSUN is currently working on an agreement with a few other schools to start a joint DPT program.

yup. USC is about 115,000 for 3 years. CSUN is about 18,000. Its a huge difference. I ended up commiting to CSUN. Hopefully I can do the transitional dpt while im working when i become a RPT.

I think you made the right choice. See you at orientation (second years buy the first years lunch)

yup. USC is about 115,000 for 3 years. CSUN is about 18,000. Its a huge difference. I ended up commiting to CSUN. Hopefully I can do the transitional dpt while im working when i become a RPT.

just curious, why would you get a transitional DPT?

from what i hear, there is seemingly a shift towards the dpt for the future. if thats still true after i graudate with a masters, i would probably get my dpt

haha nice. i guess there are perks to going to csun. Im josh by the way

Cheaper is absolutely the way to go. Rankings are an interesting beast. The only function of medical school rankings is that it might help in residency and fellowship selectivity, however in PT, the debt to income ratio is a significant factor. More debt takes away from your earnings when you get out. If I were you I'd contact the USC students directly to find out if they receive scholarships after they matriculated. Schools I matriculated used that system. For those on the east coast, it's equivalent to selecting CUNY Hunter over NYU or Columbia. Cheaper school, similar quality, same degree, same practice privileges, same job availability when you graduate, MUCH different debt.

Fred-

What did you match into? Glad you made the switch, now that med school is done?

dc

Cheaper is absolutely the way to go. Rankings are an interesting beast. The only function of medical school rankings is that it might help in residency and fellowship selectivity, however in PT, the debt to income ratio is a significant factor. More debt takes away from your earnings when you get out. If I were you I'd contact the USC students directly to find out if they receive scholarships after they matriculated. Schools I matriculated used that system. For those on the east coast, it's equivalent to selecting CUNY Hunter over NYU or Columbia. Cheaper school, similar quality, same degree, same practice privileges, same job availability when you graduate, MUCH different debt.

I'm going to have to respectullfy agree to disagree. I don't think all schools have the same quality of education and that cheaper is not necessarily the way to go (although all educate its students well enough to pass the boards and have to be accredited by CAPTE).

As I've stated in other posts in this forum, there is more to choosing a school than cost of tuition and rankings. Many schools are unique in what they offer and that's what I think should be the selling point. So my advice to anyone who is in this dilemma is to look at the similarities and the differences of each school. If they are similar, then sure, go for the cheaper school. However, if you see there is a blaring difference (outstanding published and well respected clinicians in your specific area of interest, more quality clinical sites throughout the country, access to unique labs such as cadaver, physiology, or biomech labs, access to excellent hospitals and surgeons, general reputation of past students, etc) then I would seriously consider paying the extra cost for those exact things. Education is priceless, and those intangibles can make your investment worthwhile.

I was once deciding between CUNY Hunter (unranked, public, cheap) and those other "more expensive" private, ranked schools a couple years ago. I know that all three are good schools as I chose to go to one of the latter schools and have many friends in the other schools. From my experience, the shear fact of the name of my school had a lot of pull in getting awesome clinical affiliations, getting immediate respect from my patients (which can sometimes be tough as a student), and with getting the perfect job. I've even had potential employers flat out tell me that it makes a difference as to what school you go to....Now if you are a great student and clinician, it may not exactly matter where you go to school as you will excel anywhere and potential employers will see that.

So pay for what you think your PT education is worth to you and in turn what it will give back to you.

Oh, and Fred, sounds like you are liking your experience in med school so far. What area of medicine are you aiming for? I was thinking of following my dad's footsteps and apply in the past, but PT was more for me. Also, if you had chosen to go to CUNY Hunter vs. BU for PT school, do you think med schools would have looked at you differently?

So I just typed a nice well written, long response, and it got erased... so short answer...

Med schools have no clue as far as PT rankings so that would not have made a difference. GW looks for clinicians to be med students.

I did one clinical affil at Columbia where I worked with Columbia, NYU and Hunter students. Among all of us, I felt the Hunter students were better clinically and had a greater fund of knowledge. We all had lunch together and would discuss our respective progs. Hunter students did not think they were lacking in any opportunities.

Good luck in PT education!

I matched at University of Maryland for Radiology and Georgetown for Transitional Year (both my top choices). I plan on doing MSK US/interventional pain clinic type work and run my own rehab programs. I also want to teach a lot in my career.

Fred, thanks for the response and good luck with the rest of your training. Your points are well taken.

Again, my main point was that I was hoping that people reading the post would look deeper than the "numbers" when choosing a school. I just don't think it's just black & white "choose the cheapest school". That being said, of course, cost is important when you think about how long it takes to pay off loans. Just make sure you're getting what you want out of the PT school you choose.

To nokabob4u: I'm glad you chose CSUN. I know you were looking at rankings and cost initially, but I also hope you found something in CSUN that USC just didn't offer (maybe smaller classes/more attention from the profs, better location?)

So I just typed a nice well written, long response, and it got erased... so short answer...

Med schools have no clue as far as PT rankings so that would not have made a difference. GW looks for clinicians to be med students.

I did one clinical affil at Columbia where I worked with Columbia, NYU and Hunter students. Among all of us, I felt the Hunter students were better clinically and had a greater fund of knowledge. We all had lunch together and would discuss our respective progs. Hunter students did not think they were lacking in any opportunities.

Good luck in PT education!

I matched at University of Maryland for Radiology and Georgetown for Transitional Year (both my top choices). I plan on doing MSK US/interventional pain clinic type work and run my own rehab programs. I also want to teach a lot in my career.

Just curious. If you want to do interventional pain and MSK, why not do PM&R followed by either pain management or interventional spine? Seems like that would work better with your P.T. degree if doing pain clinic and rehab is what you want to do anyway.

Just curious. If you want to do interventional pain and MSK, why not do PM&R followed by either pain management or interventional spine? Seems like that would work better with your P.T. degree if doing pain clinic and rehab is what you want to do anyway.

So that was a MAJOR consideration of mine. I loved PM&R, however, I wanted a new and completely different skill set that I could merge with my rehab skills. Believe me, I was torn and it kept me up many nights! In the end, I think I'll be really happy with my skill set and what I can do in the future... i.e. 1 day MSK/pain clinic, 1 day imaging, 1 day MSK US clinic, 1 day pain procedures, 1 day teaching/clinical research (more teaching)... all the while I can co-own and operate a rehab clinic with medical/procedural integrations that I think of all the time. Ultimately, I hope to frontload my income so I can transition into full time teaching. Sounds ideal, and I'm sure it won't play out exactly this way, but all these options are still open and all are very appealing to me.