Does it matter where you go for 3rd year rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dontknowwhattodo

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone I’m a current 2nd year at UNECOM! UNECOM has about 18 clinical sites ranging from bigger teaching hospitals with residents to very rural community hospitals with no residents to sites with a mix of both. I see the pros and cons of each one and honestly don’t know what to do. Wondering how much it will matter in the long run if at all. I’m interested in either gen surg or EM but don’t need to go to a crazy amazing residency program. Advice?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are interested in Gen Surg, you want to do your surg rotation at a big teaching hospital with residents.

Reactions: 1 users
Surgery residencies will want to see you do your surgery rotation in an academic setting. If you don’t have that or get that then you’ll need to make up for it by doing plenty of aways, or even electives during 3rd year in surgery at an academic site.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just do yourself a favor and go to the big teaching hospital with residents

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much for the responses! Unfortunately only 16 students of 180 get to go to that site and it’s a lottery system so chances are not great. I’ll just try to make the most of whatever happens!

It matters, but not as much as it feels like it’s going to matter when you’re a second year.

Edit: fixed typo

Last edited:
It matters, but not as it feels like it’s going to matter when you’re a second year.

What do you mean exactly?
A few things:
1) you want the best clinical experience you can have, obviously, but at the end of the day - DO rotations are highly variable, and you make the most of wherever you end up. Most sites will have some great rotations, and some that are less great. Everyone talks about how university programs are going to be the best, and while you see the most there, you could end up just one of many MS3 flies on the wall. Or how at community programs you’ll get to “do more”- but often at the expense of less exposure or not working with residents. It’s a mix wherever you go. Pick what rumor has it had the best rotations in the area most important to you. Wherever you land you’ll make the most of it.

2) at the end of the day, it all evens out in residency. When I started intern year, in July, you could tell a bit who’d had a lot of hospital exposure and who hadn’t, and who’d worked with residents and who hadn’t. By October or so, you couldn’t tell. And as an attending I have no idea where my coworkers and consultants rotated in med school, because it doesn’t matter anymore.

A few things:
1) you want the best clinical experience you can have, obviously, but at the end of the day - DO rotations are highly variable, and you make the most of wherever you end up. Most sites will have some great rotations, and some that are less great. Everyone talks about how university programs are going to be the best, and while you see the most there, you could end up just one of many MS3 flies on the wall. Or how at community programs you’ll get to “do more”- but often at the expense of less exposure or not working with residents. It’s a mix wherever you go. Pick what rumor has it had the best rotations in the area most important to you. Wherever you land you’ll make the most of it.

2) at the end of the day, it all evens out in residency. When I started intern year, in July, you could tell a bit who’d had a lot of hospital exposure and who hadn’t, and who’d worked with residents and who hadn’t. By October or so, you couldn’t tell. And as an attending I have no idea where my coworkers and consultants rotated in med school, because it doesn’t matter anymore.
Thank you for this! I greatly appreciate the insight

Do aways and subIs at legit hospital systems as much as possible. Otherwise doesnt matter. I went to a total crap clinical site my 3rd and 4th years that was later shutdown and did fine.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you so much for the responses! Unfortunately only 16 students of 180 get to go to that site and it’s a lottery system so chances are not great. I’ll just try to make the most of whatever happens!
I don't know about the student experience because I don't rotate at this hospital, but from what I have heard through the grape vine from health care professionals in the same state, that hospital is a highly toxic environment, and I'm kind of glad I don't rotate there. Meanwhile I'm having an amazing surgical rotation at a small community hospital. I have been first assist on multiple surgeries. I'm now closing for some surgeons, getting requested to scrub in and assist (especially in Ortho, which is so fun), I've "driven the scope" both in gen surg and ortho...in other words: I'm at the table doing the real thing and getting a real experience of surgery. I have no idea what my classmates at a certain highly sought after site with only 16 spots are doing. I talk to every doc I scrub in with to get their opinion on getting in to residency. Your surgical rotation isn't going to make or break you. Make friends while you're in the OR and chances are someone will have a friend they'd be willing to connect you to who you could do an elective rotation with for the good recommendation!