Does it matter which pre-reqs you have left to take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluesails

Tufts c/o 2018!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
All the schools I'm looking at are fine with me taking pre-reqs up until matriculation. I just wanted to ask if it matters which ones you have left to take - if taking upper level bio courses like Biochem or Microbio after applying will make you less likely to get in than someone who took them before applying.

I wanted to do a study abroad program in junior year, but with the prerequisite courses I need for it, Biochem and Microbio will get pushed to senior fall. It's an ecological research study abroad trip that I'm really, really interested in, but I don't know if it would weaken my application and that worries me.

Thoughts?

(Off-Topic: Anyone seen that movie Inception? It was amazing.)

Members don't see this ad.

As usual "it depends."
CSU for example was concerned that I had no upper level bio classes "yet".
Penn, Tufts, UCDavis didn't seem to mention it anywhere I recall or say a word about it to me.

All the upper level stuff I had was done during/after applying.

Don't know about other schools.

I didn't take biochemistry until this past spring, during application, and I didn't have a problem. Now, that was LSU, which does closed-file interviews, so they may have asked if given the chance. I don't know.

But, given the choice between a study abroad program and earlier upper-level classes, I think that doing the study abroad program will help you more than the last minute classes will hinder you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't take Biochemistry and Microbiology until Spring semester senior year and I don't think it negatively affected me.....I was a major that didn't include any of the pre-reqs though so maybe it's more excusable in that case? Not sure.

I don't think it would be a problem because they would see your fall grades before they accepted you, and in some cases before they even give you an interview. Just don't save them all until your final spring semester!

Many thanks for the replies - keep 'em coming if there are other points of view out there!

I also took both of those courses the Spring of my Senior Year. I got into three schools without them batting an eyelash over it: UC Davis, Mizzou, and LSU. However, my rejection from CSU was primarily pegged on not having taken these courses sooner. As in many application issues/questions, it really depends on the school.

If you let us know where you're applying, or at least most likely planning on applying, you may get responses from people who applied to those same schools, and see what they say happened to them . . .

I would say it probably doesn't matter if you already have some upper-level bios. However, if those are the only two that you are going to take and have not taken them yet, they may be a little more hesitant, just because you haven't shown if you could handle the upper level coursework yet. However, I don't think that would stop you from receiving an acceptance, especially if you have some other upper level bio classes that you've already taken.

As a CSU undergrad, I had the privilege of attending a recent workshop on applying to vet school given by one of our adcoms. CSU isn't going to even look at in progress work this year. They only want fall transcripts from offered and alternates (which I see they made sure to bold this on their website lol: Note: no transcript should be submitted at the time you submit your application.)

Anywhoo, she told us...
If you're going to apply to CSU this cycle, make sure you explain in your explanation statement if you are taking something upper division / pre-req in the fall or spring semester of the upcoming year. They also won't be asking for a list of classes you're taking, etc. I guess they're going to just overlook that part of the actual application? She was pretty adamant to us about how they weren't going to even take a look this time around.

She did, however, tell us it WOULD help if say.. we were taking an upper division course and had a high grade at the time of application and made sure to let them know through our explanation statement. (i.e. I am currently taking (class) and as of (date) I have (grade).)

I have no idea why, but well, there you have it. She also told us they're doing away with interviews altogether, which really makes me wonder just exactly what CSU is basing it on this year. XD

Thank you for all the replies!

So if I was moving pre-reqs around in the schedule, it would be better to postpone a different non-biology related one like Physics instead of Biochem and Microbiology?

The only pre-reqs I won't have at the time of applying will be Gen Chem II, Biochem and Statistics. This is because GCII is a pre-req of biochem, and the pre-req for GCII is Orgo II (which I'm taking right now). I literally can't take these classes until this coming school year, so there isn't anything I can do about it. My other pre-reqs are kind of sprinkled throughout. So long as you don't have a bunch of really difficult pre-reqs crammed into your last semester, you should be fine.

I would take the bio-related classes sooner and leave the non-bio-related ones for the spring. I think they would be more interested in how you did in micro compared to physics.

I don't have much helpful information for you, but I too plan on taking biochem (second semester of it, at least) and microbio spring semester of my senior (or, super senior rather) year. And fall semester of my super senior year I'll be taking the first semester of biochem, and I don't really have a choice in the matter. I started out my undergrad career without the intention of vet school, so have been scrambling to get my prereqs taken care of and finish my major at the same time. I would take biochem while taking organic, but there is a time conflict, so I have to put biochem off until my last year.

As for the movie Inception, I have seen it and it was amazing. The ending made me mad though, I stayed through the credits hoping they'd clear things up lol

I agree with Jakesmom, leaving physics for last is the advice I've been given by advisers previously too. Not sure how much it ultimately matters in the big scheme of things. I'm sure you'll be fine either way, but it couldn't hurt.