Does it significantly help to get a retail job in order to work paid research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DiavoloAlighieri

Jus bëtter
Reaction score
Man oh man, I am quite late to the game. My parents never really allowed me to hold a job in high school, which is alright since I was involved in school sports and took all the challenging APs offered, but now that I’m in college, I’m struggling to find a retail job like at a grocery store or something along those lines.

I applied for last year’s cycle of SURF/undergrad research but was rejected from the handful I applied for. I have a sneaking suspicion it could have been due to my lack of work experience, as my friends who have less academic experience but more work experience managed to nab some positions. For instance, I know a guy in my year who typically spends his weekends smoking cigarettes (which is a great way to divide your lifespan in half) and not much else.

He got an undergrad research position at my university over the summer, and I think it’s because he worked fast food during high school.

Tl;Dr: Should I prioritize finding a simpler job as one of my main goals first or should I be able to get a research position without doing this step? I’d rather not work retail if I don’t need to as I am somewhat tight on time.

Members don't see this ad.

I second what @pinchybug said. If you want to get into research and qualify for paid research fellowships in the future, consider working for academic credit starting this summer at your university with plans on continuing to work in the lab during the year. Then see if next summer your lab has the funds to pay you or you can apply to SURF again but this time with research experience. Programs like SURF most likely value prior research experience, academic performance, and proposal. If you are seeking income this summer, then you can always get a part time job doing something else while doing unpaid research.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I applied for last year’s cycle of SURF/undergrad research but was rejected from the handful I applied for. I have a sneaking suspicion it could have been due to my lack of work experience,
Based on having plenty of friends who landed undergraduate research positions across many different universities, I would say your suspicion is likely wrong. Like another poster mentioned correlation does not equal causation.

Having had any kind of employment in the past might show that you accept responsibility, show up on time, and pull together as part of a team. There is something to be said for that.

Reactions: 1 users
I applied for last year’s cycle of SURF/undergrad research but was rejected from the handful I applied for. I have a sneaking suspicion it could have been due to my lack of work experience, as my friends who have less academic experience but more work experience managed to nab some positions.
How much help did you get about applying to these undergrad SURF programs? Work experience isn't usually an issue, but your academic performance and the way you respond to the questions might be. Or it could simply be bad luck (your interests don't line up to what the PI's are doing).

The many PI's I've talked with who don't take undergrads in a SURF application process usually worry about willingness to learn, prior experience or knowledge of lab etiquette or professionalism, and their funding/support for a summer student. Some won't take anyone who is "premed" bound because the PI would rather support someone who is dedicated to a bonafide research path. Some want a commitment of time (hours per week and weeks in the year) because they don't want to train someone only to have that person not stay with the lab after a summer/year.