Does Kaplan over prepare?

Started by shaq786
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

shaq786

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Which sections do you think that Kaplan over-prepares you on?

I just did some of the chemistry problems today and they got me becuase I was short on time. Kaplan's reading comp also got me for time.

Dont know how you guys feel about the Verbal, Reading, and chem sections of kaplan. Feedback would be nice.
 
shaq786 said:
Which sections do you think that Kaplan over-prepares you on?

I just did some of the chemistry problems today and they got me becuase I was short on time. Kaplan's reading comp also got me for time.

Dont know how you guys feel about the Verbal, Reading, and chem sections of kaplan. Feedback would be nice.
I think that Kaplan book overprepares particularly on chemistry. The problems in the book are much more computational than most of what is on the actual test. I was really faked out by this, as I already have a master's in chemistry, so theoretically chemistry SHOULD be the easiest section for me, but I never made it through a Kaplan practice test in chemistry in the time allotted. So, I was pleasantly surprised by the actual PCAT - much less math, hence much less time difficulty.
 
You guys are sooooooo boosting my confidence right now. I was just thinking I was scared to take this test, but now I think I'm gonna go broke on Kaplan classes and junk so I can pass. Thanks. 👍
 
The Kaplan book makes the PCAT (particularly chemistry and vocabulary) look very scary. I wonder if it is part of a strategy to get you to take their classes.

I did a couple of chapters of the chemistry and panicked because in my classes we weren't required to memorize formulae or the periodic table, and the Kaplan book made it seem like you had to know everything. I thought I should memorize all of the Latin roots in the vocabulary section but never got around to it. I then put the book away and decided to see what happened.

I got a 99th percentile overall (94th in chemistry, 99th in both English sections), and I donated the book to Goodwill.

I did brush up on the calculus on Kaplan's web site since it had been 15 years since I had taken it. At least that was useful.