does kaplan represent reality?

Started by laian
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

laian

New Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Im taking the kaplan course test and am wondering how it compares to the real thing. Ive found the verbal and bio seem a little to easy and dont want any surprises when it comes to the real deal.
 
Im taking the kaplan course test and am wondering how it compares to the real thing. Ive found the verbal and bio seem a little to easy and dont want any surprises when it comes to the real deal.

I found Kaplan to be a fairly good representation of the real thing. If anything, I thought the PCAT verbal was much easier than Kaplans. Some of the questions on the Kaplan practice exams for Chem and Math are a little longer/more involved than you will see on the real test. The Chem problems you will encounter on the PCAT will be VERY simple (things like converting grams to moles and kinetics rate questions, nothing that requires more that 1 or 2 quick steps.) I really liked the Kaplan book for Chem and Bio- it prepares you well.
 
The Kaplan tests are proabably harder than the pcat, especially the verbal section. The kaplan prep book does prepare you well for bio and chem, except it lacks sufficent micro and O.chem sections - you'll have to study those on your own.
 
Im taking the kaplan course test and am wondering how it compares to the real thing. Ive found the verbal and bio seem a little to easy and dont want any surprises when it comes to the real deal.

No, Kaplan doesn't represent reality, however, they are probably the best prep company for the test overall, and I think just knowing that some things they try to teach you will never be on the test and to not worry about learning them is important. I can recall some crazy involved math and chemistry calculations that they teach, which never will be on the test.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Kaplan a testing service that you have to pay for? If I was running a company that sold a "guarantee to pass" testing program I'd scare the freaking willies out of any sucker who decided to take any free practice exam I was offering. I'd put in questions that not even idiot savants with 4 masters degrees could solve without a calculator and a sun dial. That way, you're scared to death that you'll never pass the PCAT without my program, and you'll send me a few grand in the mail. I wish I had thought of that first. :laugh:
 
The Kaplan questions were more difficult than the PCAT questions.

At the same time, for the math section Kaplan did not go over Trig or Precalc stuff that was on the PCAT. I only studied that stuff after I saw it on the Harcourt/PCAT practice exams. I definitely recommend taking those.

If you are fine on the Kaplan practice tests, you'll ace the PCAT - just make sure you practice timing... that was the hardest part for me.
 
Took the PCAT 2 years ago (Junior year of college) and scored a miserable 72 composite. This year I shelled out the $1200 for the Kaplan course and scored...

Verbal 71%
Reading Comp 89%
Biology 99%
Quant. 64%
Chem. 93%
Composite 93%

Writing score 3 (Bullsh*t)

I totally think its worth it!
 
Although I did make higher than a 72, I do not think that a 72 composite is miserable in any way. From some posts, that'll get you plenty of interviews.
 
Thanks cyclo I appreciate the vote of confidence. Got a 33% on math lost time so thats why I decided to throw down the money. I hope for some interviews I'm so damn tired of applications..and being broke.
 
Thanks cyclo I appreciate the vote of confidence. Got a 33% on math lost time so thats why I decided to throw down the money. I hope for some interviews I'm so damn tired of applications..and being broke.

Yeah, good idea. Some schools'll throw you out for low subscores. Good job on this PCAT. I'm just sooo happy that I never have to worry about that stoopid test ever again!!!! 👍 👍