Does knowing an adcom help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tcid

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I couldn't find an answer to this here, so I'm asking this: if a member of the adcom knows me very well, does that necessarily help my chances, or would it depend on the school? This person also wrote one of my LOR's.

Members don't see this ad.

I am guessing he/she will be on your side, so it will definetly help.

Thanks - pretty much everyone else I talk to has said it will help, but he has been downplaying his role in the process and making it clear he won't play favorites every time I've spoken with him, even though I never brought it up. I've just been wondering if that's what he's supposed to say, or if there really is some truth to it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say it definitely helps. If the choice comes down to you and an identical candidate that no one on the adcom knows...who do you think they'll pick?? I definitely think it's advantage. This person obviously thinks highly of you if they wrote you a LOR.

tcid said:
Thanks - pretty much everyone else I talk to has said it will help, but he has been downplaying his role in the process and making it clear he won't play favorites every time I've spoken with him, even though I never brought it up. I've just been wondering if that's what he's supposed to say, or if there really is some truth to it.

That is what he is supposed to say.
In life is OK for you to put yourself in somebody elses's shoes and project...
You would do the same, right?