Does LOR from a PD for IM residency matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fat_Albert

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm getting mixed answers from some of my upperclassmen. Some say they don't matter, whereas others are saying they do. I always thought the strength of your letter mattered more than the title of the letter writer since most letters sound the same anyways and it seems like it's used to screen for red flags. I have the opportunity to rotate with a PD 4th year but am debating going through with it because I've been told by previous students he writes very generic letters. Which I completely understand. I just wanted some insight on if I should go through with it because multiple past students have told me the rotation itself is pretty bad (unstructured, wasting time doing nothing).

Members don't see this ad.

You just need a letter from someone who has pull which usually means in a faculty position, usually at the level of associate professor or higher. Obviously a PD LOR is the strongest but take what you can and yes it is true that they may provide a generic letter with how busy they are but that is why you ask if they can write you a personalized, strong recommendation for residency application.

You just need a letter from someone who has pull which usually means in a faculty position, usually at the level of associate professor or higher. Obviously a PD LOR is the strongest but take what you can and yes it is true that they may provide a generic letter with how busy they are but that is why you ask if they can write you a personalized, strong recommendation for residency application.
So is it worth doing a rotation with a PD if you can only get a generic letter?

A strong personal letter with actual instances of what you did are the best. I can't tell you how many times I read a bad letter from a physician. Sometimes just a copy paste job and not even changing to correct pronouns. I implore students to always ask if the writer can right them a strong letter. If they can't confirm move on. A bad or short letter will hurt your chances.