Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Does major matter?

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by Chippymunk, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Chippymunk

5+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Not sure if this has been asked yet, but would majoring in something other than science influence my chances of getting into vet school? Or is it ok to just complete the pre-reqs? Also, would a double major make a difference?
    Sorry for so many questions :D

2. VeganChick

VeganChick Tufts University V'13
    7+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Ask as many as you want! You should see my lists!

Anyway, I don't know if certain majors give you a better chance of getting into vet school, but they will certain lessen the amount of time (and money!) you spend schooling. For example, if you are a Biology major, you are probably already taking a number of the pre-reqs, so you are set. Then, there are people like me (undergraduate B.A. - international relations, graduate master's - hospitality administration) who have to self-finance every single pre-req much later in teh game.

But again, as far as being preferred for acceptance, I don't know.

3. Malhi

Malhi UW-Madison SVM 2013
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I definitely know that schools want you to have more than the pre-requisites. They 'strongly encourage' it, according to one admissions dean (repeated a few times).
    Again, as VeganChick said, I don't know if a particular major helps or not. :rolleyes:

4. notamonotreme

Pre-Veterinary
    I think certain majors definitely make it easier to get the pre-reqs done, but as long as you do all the pre-reqs, I don't think your major actually makes a big difference. When I did a program at Tufts one summer, they gave us a list of all the majors of the entering class that year. There were many bio majors, but there were all sorts of non-science majors as well. One person even majored in hotel management!

5. buckeye4runner

buckeye4runner OSU CVM c/o 2013
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Pick a major that interests you! If that's Biology or Animal Sciences great. If it's French or Foreign Relations, or anything else, great too. You obviously have to get your pre-reqs done (and maybe some other sciences that will better prepare you), but the admissions committees also like to meet interesting and well rounded people. A different major may give you something to write about in your personal statement, talk about in an interview or just make you stand out from the crowd.

Also- the number of credit hours you can handle, and motivation to go above and beyond are a factor in the process. So, a double major or honors classes or anything like that could definitely help you.

Hope that helps!