Does major matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Unorthodox

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does it matter what I major in? I read that a lot of medical schools are now more interested in students who major in non-science subjects. As long as I do my pre-req's does it matter if I major in a science like biology or can I major in something like journalism?

Members don't see this ad.

Does it matter what I major in? I read that a lot of medical schools are now more interested in students who major in non-science subjects. As long as I do my pre-req's does it matter if I major in a science like biology or can I major in something like journalism?

No. However, some medschools recommend that if you s have non-science major, you should make sure you have a solid science course load. This is especially true for very research oriented schools like CCLCM. You'd be more competitive if you go beyond the pre-reqs. Some schools require biochem.

It doesn't matter. End of story. Major in what you want. Do well and do your pre-reqs. Now, let's see how many people feel the need to again answer the already answered question.

This has been answered numerous times. It doesn't matter. However, with a non-engineering major that is somewhat "vocational" (preparing people to work in a specific industry), you may be asked why you are switching gears into medicne or if you plan on practicing medicine or if you are working toward becoming the next Sanjay Gupta.