Does Mayo screen pre-secondary ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paws

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I just got an email from Mayo for my $75 fee for them to look me over. I am happy to send it but I did a search and couldn't tell if they screen pre-secondary or not. I thought they did but I'm not so sure ...

Any know for sure or is this just a variation of 'give us some more money' ?

Members don't see this ad.

From and old Mayo thread:

mpp
SDN Moderator

Correct. It is a blanket $60 for everybody to apply to Mayo . Then, they'll pick about 30 percent to do a phone interview which is really their secondary. Think of the phone interview as an on-the-spot secondary. There is no time to sit down and write, and re-write your answer to the questions. You just have one shot. The questions can be a bit strange. Some are just yes/no. Then depending on how you answer you might be asked for more detail. There is absolutely no feedback during the interview. There is no clarification of the questions (and some of them will throw you a bit). They will re-read questions if needed.

From those that interview by phone, they'll pick about 30 percent to invite for an in-person interview in Rochester. Typically about 30 percent of those interviewed in-person will be accepted. There is no waitlist. After the in-person interview, each person is ranked. They then accept the top few ranked scores once each month. Some people are accepted a couple of weeks after the interview. Others several months after. They do not accept updates (more letters, etc.) after the interview. The on-site interview is two separate ~45 minute interviews. One with a science/clinical faculty member. The other with either a resident or someone else not directly associated with the school.

I have heard (rumor, no confirmation) that the admissions committee that does the final ranking consists of a mix of science and clinical faculty, administration, and even a member from the community not associated with the medical school or the Mayo Clinic.

This is SMW again:
You can do a search and get a lot of your questions answered. Good luck on getting that initial phone interview.:)

They asked for my $75 without having my MCAT score, so they are not screening.

Members don't see this ad :)
They do not screen for the $75 as they don't even look at your application until they get your $75. Then they screen to see who will receive a secondary (in this case a phone interview). Less than half will be asked to complete the phone interview. About 15% will be invited for an on-site interview. About 2% are accepted.

Okay, well these are pretty good odds ....

I'm sorry, I'm just feeling really tired and POOR and I'm trying not to freak out.

This is such a stressful process and it is also so expensive; I guess I was hoping I had been screened and was 'special', which I guess I am definitely not. :p

Thanks for all the feedback. When I was searching last night I couldn't seem to find a definitive answer so I appreciate all the info!